Saturday, October 21, 2006

Fall Fashion Trends: What Works- Jersey Dresses

I'm not a fan of this season's fashion trends. I find the crazy proportions (leggings and skinny jeans with huge, oversized sweaters and coats) to be unflattering for 97% of women, and ugly on the remaining 3%. Ankle boots make women's legs look short and stubby, while chains and most animal prints are cheap and tacky. And please, people, who thought 80's fashions were worth bringing back?

But there are also some good trends, styles that are both fun to wear and flattering to normal women's bodies. This week I'm going to discuss these trends, and find versions that are moderately priced and accessible to everyone.

Today's trend: Jersey dresses



Jersey is a great fabric for women of all shapes and sizes. It drapes beautifully over body parts you want to hide and hugs curves you want to show off. It also works all year round, depending on how much you layer over it (layering being another key trend this season). Best of all, it's incredibly comfortable.

The key to choosing the right dress for your body is deciding which parts of your body you want to hide, and which ones you want to show off. It's pretty basic.

Want to create an hourglass shape? Get a wrap dress. Want to make your legs look long or draw attention away from your hips? Try a dress with an empire waist. Don't like your upper arms? Wear something with 3/4 sleeves like this. Want to highlight your cleavage without looking trashy? Find a dress with ruching at the bust like this.


Here are some other great examples of this trend, all for under $100:

BCBG Drape-Neck Jersey Dress

American Apparel Jersey Turtleneck Dress

Nordstrom Faux-Wrap Dress

Forever 21 V-Neck Dress

Bisou Bisou Deep-V Dress

No comments: