Tuesday, October 17, 2006

From Gawk to Glance


Sometimes when I'm walking down the street, or stuck in some form of public transporation, I can't help but stare at someone. It might be a cute guy, a women with something I covet (gorgeous hair, amazing shoes, an incredibly attractive boyfriend on her arm) or someone looking/doing something creepy (I'm particularly lured in by victims of bad plastic surgery). Often we just can't help it, and that's ok, we're only human. But there are a few basic rules you should follow so that you don't make someone uncomfortable or embarrass yourself.

First, limit yourself to 2 seconds of staring. This lets someone think that you weren't actually staring at them on purpose. I have a hard time following this rule if someone is doing something that bothers me, as I like to glare at them until they notice my disapproval. But I've realized that glaring often doesn't accomplish anything. If someone is doing something rude in the first place, they generally are too oblivious to notice the hint and stop the behavior. Somehow it still makes me feel like I'm doing something though... it's something I have to work on.

Don't make faces when you stare at someone. As much as you may want to wince when you see something like uggs on any person who isn't shoveling snow, try to keep a straight face. You can still feel sorry for them, just don't show it.

Be discreet. Guys, don't stare at a girl's face, then look down at her chest, then look back up. Same goes for the slow "checking you out" glance down and up a woman's body. It's not flirtatious, it's creepy and will make her feel self-conscious.

If you do want to flirt with someone, look them in the eyes and smile. If they smile back in a genuine way, you can assume that they're welcoming your advance and are open to talking to you. If you say something and they ignore it or look uncomfortable, abort mission.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

See your text below. I know I can't make a face when I see someone I find unattractive or gross, but can I puke? Will anyone notice?

"Don't make faces when you stare at someone. As much as you may want to wince when you see something like uggs on any person who isn't shoveling snow, try to keep a straight face. You can still feel sorry for them, just don't show it."

Meg said...

You can puke, you just have to hold it until you get to a bathroom.

-meg

Anonymous said...

common, sometimes when a woman has her breats sticking out way to much and they are big its hard not to stare sometimes when they are talking to you. And lets face it if they didn't want people looking, cover them up.