Thursday, October 19, 2006

Halloween Hos



This lovely outfit is called "Mac Diva Ho Adult Halloween Costume" and it also comes in lime green, in case you're wondering. Your husband/boyfriend and (I'm not kidding) child can get the matching "Mac Daddy Pimp" costume, which includes a full-length velvetine coat and matching wide-brimmed hat.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, Halloween is just around the corner. I'd forgotten about it until I opened today's New York Times, saw this article and groaned.

While I loved Halloween as a child (you should've seen me in my "autumn tree" costume with multi-colored felt leaves sewn to my brown turtleneck and matching stretch pants), once I hit college I grew to hate Halloween. The sole purpose of the day for college-aged women is to dress up in the trashiest outfit possible, and for uncostumed men to gawk and freak dance with them at parties. Those of us attending college in New England know that by the end of October, temperatures drop into the 30's, and this is no place to be wearing next to nothing. The Cornell student quoted in the Times article acknowledges this with a laugh, "we're risking frostbite", but still plans on dressing up as a sexy girl scout.

Why is it acceptable for grown women to dress up as slutty children's figures? What does this say about our culture and the need women feel to fulfill a semi-pedophilic fantasy for men?

One of the things that bothers me most about this disturbing trend is that people have become so lazy that they've given up completely on creating interesting, witty or unique costumes. Many girls have given up trying to slutify normal costumes and just go out in lingerie. Where's the creativity in that?

I know a lot of women may find dressing up in revealing costumes to be sexually liberating in some way, and I respect that. But you have to ask yourself why you're doing it. As the article mentions, many girls and women understand being sexy to mean "being sexy for someone else". This is not the right attitude to have. Respecting yourself is one of the classiest things you can do, and it doesn't mean you can't be sexy or do anything wild.

Oh, and don't forget to throw a sweater or wrap in your purse, you don't want to freeze to death walking back to your dorm after the party.

No comments: