Thursday, November 23, 2006

Cute Holiday Cards

When I was in high school I started collecting art postcards (like the kind you buy in museum gift shops) as a way to remember my favorite pieces from a show or collection. I still do that, but lately I've gotten more into collecting stationery and thank you cards. Letter writing might be a dying art, but thank you notes and holiday cards are still as appreciated as ever. If you've ever received a letter, birthday card or even a postcard from an old friend you haven't seen in years or someone you don't know very well, you know how nice it is to feel like someone's thinking about you. There's something about getting a beautiful card with a thoughtful message that really just makes you feel good, which is why I love writing them. With the holidays coming up, it's time to pick up some holiday cards to send to friends and family. Even if you can't write a long message, people will appreciate your taking the effort to write them.

Last week I came across this website, Broadway Paper, which has a fantastic selection of holiday greeting cards. They're a little on the pricey side if you're going to be mailing a ton of people, but you can always send nicer cards to your closest family and friends and regular ones to your acquaintances, coworkers and extended family. Here are a few of my favorites:





















Don't forget to send cards to anyone you want to impress. Whether it's your boss, your significant other's parents, a professor or the person you have a crush on, a pretty card with a thoughtful message will go a long way.

Another great thing about high-quality cards is that they can often be a substitute for a more expensive present. As a college student, I don't have a lot of extra cash to buy expensive gifts for all my friends, so I like to mail them homemade gifts (I usually bake something or make chocolates) along with a long, handwritten note telling them how much I appreciate them. While I'm sure that some people would prefer a gift certificate or a pricier gift, everyone loves being told how great they are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. With the holidays coming up, maybe you can do a topic on wrapping paper?

Meg said...

Sure, I'll have it up ASAP! Thanks for the suggestion!