Thursday, November 09, 2006

Finding The Best Foundation, Concealer and Powder For Your Face

I always find buying foundation and concealer really difficult, because the color never looks right after I get out of the store and when I get home I can't apply it the same way the salesperson did and I realize I've wasted $20. And then there's the seasonal issues- your skin is darker and oilier in the summer and paler and dryer in the winter, and I don't want to get seperate products that will dry out before I can use them again the following year. Luckily, I came across two great blog posts over the weekend that give fantastic advice on how to find the perfect color for your face and which products work best for every skin type.


The first is from my favorite blogging makeup artist, Elke von Freudenberg, who is teaching the masses how to buy and apply makeup with her insightful blog posts and instructive videos (you can read my earlier post on her videos here. In this post she gives great advice on how to test foundation and concealer so that you end up with a product you'll actually end up using and loving when you get home.

Another blog, Beautiful Makeup Search, tested 49 different concealers from varying brands and price points and recommends 27 different products, presented in a useful guide, which you can read here.

In case you're wondering, I use Bobbi Brown Smooth Skin Foundation (when I wear it) and Clinique Line Smoothing Concealer. Both work quite well and are mostly fool-proof when it comes to application.

Before I buy any cosmetics or beauty products, I always check out the reviews on Makeup Alley (you have to log in to see the reviews, unfortunately, but it only takes a minute). The more research you've done before you shop, the less money you'll waste on products you'll never use. Knowledge is power, my friends.

2 comments:

Ally said...

The darling teenaged gay checkout boy at the Kroger in a neighboring, rural county has issues with his foundation. It's too orangey. I take no issue with his blue eyeshadow and crooked liner bc it takes some balls to just be gay, let alone wear eye makeup. I really wanted to pull him aside yesterday and have a little sit down about foundation, but I didn't. Maybe next week.

Meg said...

Aww, that's so sweet! And I'm from the midwest, so I appreciate that it's a Kroger checkout boy.

-Meg