Monday, November 06, 2006

Getting Ready For A Big Event

I absolutely love having the opportunity to get dressed up for an important event, even if it doesn't happen as often as I'd like. I love the feeling when I walk out the door and feel great about myself, even if it's just for a night out with my friends. You don't have to be up for an Oscar to want to look your best; you should put in the effort to feel confident and glamorous anytime you're attending something that's important to you.


As promised, today I'm going to write about looking your best for a special occasion. Because each event is unique and may require a different look (a Halloween party vs a formal wedding for instance), I'm not going to set any hard rules for what you should or should not do. But I do have some tips to make prepping for the event as easy and painless as possible.

First, don't try to be someone you're not. If you just don't feel like yourself when you wear makeup, don't wear it. You'll be uncomfortable and you won't be able to enjoy yourself as much. Do what you can to maximize your confidence, while still looking appropriate for the event. Which brings me to my next point...

Do your research to find out the dress code in advance. If it's not listed on the invitation or explained to you when someone calls you, feel free to contact the person hosting the event to ask. Under or over-dressing for an event will make you feel self-conscious.

Don't be afraid to get help. If you're going to an event where a lot of focus is on you, consider getting your makeup (and possibly hair) done professionally. Make an appointment to have your makeup done for free at a department store cosmetics counter (I'm a big fan of Bobbi Brown and MAC) or Sephora. Make sure you explain what kind of look you'd like, what you're wearing and what the event is. When they're finished, you're obligated to purchase at least one product (I usually pick up the lipstick they used so I can touch up my lips later in the night). Often having someone else do your makeup (even a trusted friend or family member) will save you time and frustration if you're not very good on your own (and I'm certainly not).

Give yourself a lot of extra time. Every time I put off getting ready for something until the last minute, I end up gashing myself shaving or getting mascara on my shirt, or something that results in me scrambling around like a mad woman. If you feel rushed, you're likely to forget something important, so budget your time well.

Don't try anything for the first time. This applies mainly to cosmetics, beauty products and shoes. I've gotten allergic reactions to products I've worn for the first time while getting ready for special events, and it was a disaster. If you buy a new pair of shoes for an event, wear them around the house for a few hours in the week before the event. You may find out that they hurt like hell, and it's better to wear a better pair than to suffer all night.

Be prepared for activities that require special items.
If your daughter is getting married, make sure to use waterproof mascara. If you're going to be on your feet a lot, don't wear uncomfortable high heels.If you're going to an outdoor event, bring an umbrella. Plan accordingly so that you're able to participate in everything.

Special occasions offer people the rare opportunity (for most of us, at least) to look and feel our best. By giving yourself the time and effort you devote to other people or things, I guarantee you'll enjoy the event far more.

No comments: