Wednesday, November 08, 2006

What To Wear With Knee Socks

I got the following e-mail earlier this week:

I recently got these socks from Urban Outfitters, and while I've enjoyed wearing them in my own home, I don't really know how to wear them outside of there. I need suggestions!

Thanks, Josephine

I think these socks are very cute, and now that the weather is getting colder, there are lots of ways to wear knee socks outside. As I mentioned in earlier posts, layering is very popular this season and I would layer these socks over dark, opaque tights, paired with a mini-dress or mini-skirt and flats.

Because they're covering up your calves, you still want to show off part of your legs. A few weeks ago I was doing some shopping and found a lot of very cheap, very cute pairs of tights at Target and JC Penney, so if you're on a tight budget I'd check out those stores first. If you're looking for a pair that will last forever and "hold you in", try these tights from Spanx. If you've never tried Spanx before, they are amazing. You will lose at least a couple inches off your waist, hips and thighs and they hide panty lines under skirts and pants.

Stay away from the schoolgirl look by wearing skirts that are fairly close to the body, nothing full or pleated. You want to have a clean line from your hips to your feet. Because knee socks are casual, wear them with casual skirts or dresses. Check out this cute black denim mini or this casual menswear mini. On top you can wear a comfy cardigan or wrap sweater or layered long-sleeved t-shirts.

For a more mod look, pair your socks and tights with a shift dress, another hot trend for fall. Here are two great dresses,

Me & You Wool Pinafore Dress

Forever 21 Waist Tab Dress

Don't forget the flats! The socks will look silly with heels, so check out my previous post on flats.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jo said...

Thanks for responding! I just got a pair of black tights from target, so I'll try that!

Meg said...

Great, glad to help!