Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Bad Trend Gone Worse: Skinny Jeans on Guys

In one of my earliest posts I discussed my feelings about the ubiquitous skinny jeans, and the many reasons why I find the style unflattering and downright ugly. In the last couple of months I've found a variation of the skinny jean that offends me even more than the original: skinny jeans on MEN.


Yes, I know it's shocking. You may not have experienced this sartorial catastrophe firsthand, but as a visiting student at a co-ed (woo!) liberal arts college known for its trendy hipster population (and widespread drug use, which may be a contributing factor), I see this style on a daily basis. You may ask what kind of man chooses jeans last seen in George Michael's Faith music video (though I've seen much tighter around here), and I honestly can't tell you... if one of my male friends showed up in a pair, I'd make him change.

But I have to say, unlike women, men at least know when they don't have the body type to pull of the skinny jeans (if there is such a thing as pulling off a horrific style). You don't see football players walking around in them, that's for sure. But still, there are certain things are better left to the imagination (and the outline of a guy's leg from hip to heel is only secondary here).

I imagine that you'd find this style if you went to a Misshapes party or a concert by some indie cult band, and on other "hip" campuses around the country. But I don't expect to see this trend extending to the average American guy (if only because the average American guy is about 150 lbs heavier than the guys I see wearing skinny jeans).

But they're certainly present in high-end men's clothing stores. Lucky and Levi's both sell at least a few styles of "slim cut" or "skinny" jeans, and I counted over FORTY styles of skinny/slim cut jeans on the Barney's men's denim site. Incredible!

Anyone have any reports of seeing skinny jeans on guys in other cities? And does anyone find this attractive?

One final note about skinny jeans on girls: it appears as though I may have been right in predicting that skinny jeans would go out of style very soon. People Magazine's Off The Rack Blog posted that many trendsetting celebrities have abandoned the style. Does this mean skinny jeans are on their way out? One can only hope.

9 comments:

Anne said...

I drive by a skate park on the way to work, and you'd be amazed how many skater boys (ages 14-17ish) are busting out of their skinnies. It's some vaguely punk/hipster/skater style and it's very unfortunate.

Anonymous said...

quite rampant in boston - we're quite the emo/punk wannabe city. i don't think its completely ugly, not exactly cute either but there are a few who pulls it off.

Katie said...

There is one guy at my school that wears skinny jeans and I don't have aqn issue with it but then he wears his large clunky "skater" (or whatever) shoes he is pretty hot an I like the way he looks in the pants and he also has his hair straitened and plastered to his face in the front while it is spiked (well more of just sticking out in all directions [but not in a tacky sense]) so he is the emo-est you'll get at my school, all of the other guys including the ones that are just as unnaturally skinny as he is are jocks (well besides his friends and a few other semi-emo guys) I find this trend on guys only attractive if they are skinny enough to wear girl pants and are willing to go alll the way with this look (except for eyeliner which should be reserved only for rocstars and the hottest of emo boys)

Anonymous said...

I love love love guys in skinny jeans , but I do agree that like the majority of women, some guys should never wear skinny jeans. I don't think that it is right that it is socially acceptable for men to enjoy women wearing tight clothes but not the other way around. I personally don't understand why women seem to NOT want to see men's bits.

Sujoy said...

Maa'm....the comment is a little late and far out (all the way from India, I mean...Thank You!:-))....and all I wanted to say is that sometimes (just sometimes), having a good upper-body allows one (Guy/guys) to wear "skinny" jeans to enhance the buff look....and, for what its worth....worked for me on two occassions....and then I decided that Lycra makes for interesting levels of flexibility and forgot arguing about "skinny is in or out"....ever since, I have just been going with whatever am comfortable in....and I do agree....that a certain "silhouette" does make for "interesting" stares and gestures (ranging from embarassment to disdain)....but that can be remedied to fall within "socially acceptable" limits with a little thought.... Thanks for the read.... Love your blog BTW.

Sujoy said...

Maa'm....the comment is a little late and far out (all the way from India, I mean...Thank You!:-))....and all I wanted to say is that sometimes (just sometimes), having a good upper-body allows one (Guy/guys) to wear "skinny" jeans to enhance the buff look....and, for what its worth....worked for me on two occassions....and then I decided that Lycra makes for interesting levels of flexibility and forgot arguing about "skinny is in or out"....ever since, I have just been going with whatever am comfortable in....and I do agree....that a certain "silhouette" does make for "interesting" stares and gestures (ranging from embarassment to disdain)....but that can be remedied to fall within "socially acceptable" limits with a little thought.... Thanks for the read.... Love your blog BTW.

Anonymous said...

man i think emo guys are hot especially if they wear super skin-tight skinny jeans
the sterotype that all emo boys are
either skinny or fat is a lie
i have seen a few buff emo guys
but the shy nerdy ones are the hottest FYI im 17yrs old!!

Anonymous said...

Guys in skinny jeans is the hottest thing ever. Whoever wrote this article should respect that just because they can write doesn't mean they are right. The world is big enough for you to have your tastes without criticising mine, and I will pay you the same courtesy.

Anonymous said...

fuck all you guys that talk shit about guys and skinnys... who cares what anybody else wears if they like it leave 'em be... i mean if you have nothing better than to complain about how people wear clothes that you dont like then you have a sad sad life! k im a guy and i wear skinnys and am in the "punk" scene of okc and yeah alot of girls like skinnys on guys so yeah.... grow the fuck up.... and if you couldn't tell this blog and some of the replies pissed me off a little bit...