Thursday, December 28, 2006

Shield Your Skin - A Review of Skin MD Natural Shielding Lotion

I'm usually skeptical of any beauty product that promises to do something no other product can. Cosmetics companies copy each other all the time, and there's often very little difference in the list of active ingredients from one product to another. So when I received a sample of Shielding Lotion from Skin MD Natural, I was doubtful of their claims that this product was, "far more effective than conventional moisturizers" and used "the latest developments in skin care technology" to create a lotion that shields the skin from chemicals and irritants that dry out skin. But I'm always up for an experiment, so I decided to give the shielding lotion a try.

The directions say to apply a small amount every 2-8 hours for the first few days, and then build up to reapplying every 12-24 hours. Except for hand lotion, who really has the time to apply something to their entire body every few hours, even for a couple of days? My skin is dry, but I'm not that desperate, so I applied it once or twice a day for the week.


My skin is sensitive and I'm prone to allergic reactions to fragrances and colorants in products, so I was happy to read that the product was fragrance and colorant free. This is not the kind of lotion you show off in your bathroom, as the packaging and product are not luxurious in the slightest. But if you're the kind of person who just wants a moisturizer that will keep their skin from itching and cracking, this stuff might be for you.

When I first applied it, I was a little surprised at the consistency. It's thin and a little runny, not at all like the thick, greasy stuff I'm used to slathering all over my legs and feet at night. It soaked in within 60 seconds and suddenly you couldn't tell that I had any product on my hands, except for the fact that they were smoother and softer than usual. This effect was so cool that I made my mom try it, and she couldn't figure it out either, neither of us had seen anything like it.

One of my biggest pet peeves is putting on clothes after applying lotion (even 30-60 minutes later) and getting the lotion on all over a nice tank top or (this is the worst) tights or hose. Because it soaks in super quickly and leaves no oily sheen on your skin after application, it's great under more fitted clothing.

The first couple of days I tried it, my skin still felt a little dry even after applying the lotion, so I layered it with other products. I know this stuff is supposed to keep irritants from entering and drying our you skin, but for some reason it helps other lotions soak and stay in skin. Whenever I applied the shielding lotion first, followed by another lotion, my skin was incredibly moisturized, and the effect lasted until my next shower, over a day later.

After a few days, I found that I didn't need to layer with other products, and during times when I'm normally super dry (after being outside, post-shower, etc), my skin was less resistant to dryness. It was really neat effect, and definitely had a positive effect on my skin.

Skin MD Natural says that the product is safe for use on your face, but I didn't want to run the risk of breaking out right before Christmas, so I stuck to using it on my body. The lotion is a bit pricey- $25 for a 4 oz bottle (which supposedly lasts 2-3 months, though it's probably more like one month's supply), but the company guarantees that if you don't like the product, they'll give you a full refund. I'd recommend the product for anyone with severely dry skin who's sick of thick, greasy creams. If you try it out, let me know what you think of it!

1 comment:

yummy411 said...

hearing and reading so much about this...this has truly been a good thorough review! thanks =)