Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Trader Joe's: Not Just for Two Buck Chuck and Luna Bars

This may be a little too much information, but in the past I've always avoided shaving when it wasn't absolutely necessary. Sure, it's tough to avoid in the summer, when I'm wearing shorts and skirts most of the time, but this time of year I need a really hot date to motivate me to dig up the razor. Okay, this is a slight exaggeration, but I certainly hate shaving. The time and concentration required to get a perfect shave, the potential for nicks, the post-shave dry skin... who wants to deal with all the hassle?

In the last couple of weeks though, I've changed my tune. I was shopping at Trader Joe's a few weeks back when I passed their beauty products and soaps in my search for my favorite cereal. Now, I'm a big believer in organic, free-range, hormone-free, preservative-free, locally grown, all-natural, blah blah blah foods, but I'm wary of any of those terms applied to my beauty products. I don't doubt that a lot of natural ingredients are effective, but I'm paying for all the R&D cosmetics companies pour into turning the latest and greatest technology into products that show significant results. Better living through chemicals, my friends.

But I digress... while I was browsing the many bottles of hand soap, I came across a large, bright orange tube of shaving cream. The fun packaging and promise of honey mango scent (I'm sucker for exotic fruity scents) made me pick it up, and when I saw the price ($2.99!) I decided to take it home and test it out.


As if it wasn't already obvious, I should mention that I've never given much thought to my shaving cream. I buy the Aveeno Shave Gel, because I have sensitive skin and hate the scent of all the Skintimate products, but I'm pretty ambivalent about it. But a couple days later when I was getting ready for a special dinner with my boyfriend, I decided to try it.

I'm used to using gel and foam formulas, but the Trader Joe's Shave is a cream, which you squeeze out of a plastic flip top, which makes for convenient application. It's thick and creamy (duh) and smells FANTASTIC, a mix of mango and coconut that reminds me of my favorite mango sorbet. Yum.

It goes on fairly translucent, so it's not as easy to see where you've shaved, but this is my only complaint about the product. My razor seemed to glide on easier, and though it may be in my head, it certainly felt like a closer shave. But when I got out of the shower, my legs felt amazing, super soft and moisturized, not raw and sensitive as they often are after I shave. They also smelled like mango/coconut (though this didn't last long). I also still had to apply lotion, but with my dry skin, I really have no choice.

I'm not going to go as far as to say that I *like* shaving now, but I have to say that I actually kind of look forward to it. I really hope that Trader Joe's comes out with more products with this scent, because I'm kind of addicted (I sniffed the tube about 5 times while writing this post, all in the name of accurate reporting).

If you're looking to upgrade your shaving product and have a Trader Joe's in your area, you should definitely check out their Moisturizing Cream Shave. It's good enough that I plan on giving some tubes to friends for Christmas gifts. Oh, and it's for men and women, so if you know a guy who could use a smoother shave, you could offer to share your tube... then again, for $2.99, it might be better to just buy him his own. You'll want to keep your tube to yourself.

2 comments:

Jess said...

I absolutely hate shaving and will avoid doing it at any cost. A hot date or a cute new skirt isn't even enough to motivate me to pick up a razor. Maybe its because I always seem to cut myself pretty bad whenever I shave. I once had to actually cancel a date because my leg wouldn't stop bleeding through the band-aids. However, I think legs really do look better when they're smooth and hairless. And, I think I wouldn't mind shaving so much if I didn't have to worry about needing a blood transfusion afterwards (FYI I'm B+). So, after reading about this miracle cream I think I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip, Meg.

Anonymous said...

This is great stuff. Once my TJs ran out of it for months. I was so sad. You can find the Alba brand of basically the same product (same packaging style to) at Whole Foods for about $4.99 or so. But why bother when TJs comes to the rescue? I find it lasts longer than shave gel b/c you only need a thin layer. You don't get annoying gel and foamy stuff all over your shower either.