Sunday, January 21, 2007

Review: Olay Daily Facials Deep Cleansing Clay Mask

For a relationship to survive, each person must be willing to compromise. As someone who's naturally bossy and stubborn, this lesson was a tough one to learn. But now, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

For instance, last week I told the story of how I gave my boyfriend a beauty product makeover, turning a Dial bar soap guy into a La Roche Posay devotee (two long years, but boy, was it worth it!). Still, it takes a lot of convincing to get him to try something new, especially something he perceives as "for girls," so when I picked up an Olay face mask that I was dying to try, I knew I'd have to approach the matter very carefully.


"I was thinking about watching a movie tonight, are you up for "The Usual Suspects?" He asked, a hopeful look on his face.

"Hmm..." I thought, "action/suspense film, not really my genre. But I like Kevin Spacey, and I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to try the mask with me if I watch the movie, so I'll agree."

"Okay, but can we try this face mask after the movie? I think you'll really like it."

"Sure."

Score! I was tired that night and the movie, while pretty good, was putting me to sleep. That was until the last 5 minutes when a HUGE plot twist shows that the movie was leading you to believe one thing, when the truth was in fact the opposite. The fantastic ending really makes the movie, if you haven't seen it, I recommend renting it sometime.

But back to my mission: I'd put in my end of the deal, now it was his turn. I explained what a face mask was and how it worked and what it does for your skin, then we took turns putting it on in the bathroom mirror.

"Oh my god, we look like the Blue Man Group," he said. I'd avoided mentioning that the mask was bright blue. Andrew's in grad school and lives in a dorm with communal unisex bathrooms, so we had to do some stealth sneaking around (very appropriate after the movie) to avoid running into anyone with our blue faces.

The mask comes in a medium-sized tube, and for $7, you definitely get your money's worth. It goes on smoothly, isn't too thick or too runny, and feels very soothing on the skin. You only need to leave it on for 5 minutes, and then wash it off with a washcloth, very simple. I was a little concerned that it would dry me out, as my skin has been on the dry side lately, but I was happy to see that my face didn't feel tight at all when I took it off, and my skin looked brighter and more refreshed. Pores definitely looked smaller and my skin tone was more even. Pretty incredible for a drug store product.

With his untrained eye, Andrew couldn't tell the difference in his skin after taking the mask off, but he said that his skin looked and felt much better the next couple of days. I've started applying the mask as a spot treatment anywhere I'm breaking out, and because it's not drying, you can use it as often as you'd like.

I think that anyone with oil-prone skin would enjoy and appreciate using this mask, and for $7.99 at your local drug store (and even cheaper in a 3-pack from Amazon), what's there to lose?

No comments: