Monday, February 26, 2007

2007 Oscars Best and Worst Dressed List

Very few remember who won best actress, best director or even best film from last year's Oscars (let alone 5, 10 or 15 years ago), but will you ever forget Bjork's swan gown, Sharon Stone's Gap t-shirt or Julia Roberts' vintage Valentino gown? The most original and stunning outfits at the Oscars become pop culture icons, while even the greatest movies are rarely remembered for which awards they won.

Luckily this year was a great one for Oscars fashion, if a tiny bit boring (you never know how much you'll miss the Chers of the fashion world until they're gone...but thank you Eva Green for taking the baton!). Coming up with a list of best dressed actresses was certainly difficult this year, and I'll hopefully have a list of honorable mentions in the coming days.

BEST DRESSED

Ladies and gentlement, Emily Blunt has arrived! Anne Hathaway was pegged as the "hot and fashionable" girl in "Prada" but she was overshadowed by Emily's far more compelling character. Sure she can act, but who knew she was so stunning? This dress is original, in color and material, the fit is flawless and she looks sophisticated without appearing stuffy. The darker haircolor is flattering against her ivory skin (you know I love a fellow pale girl) and the whole look comes together beautifully. Can't wait to see more of her in the coming years.

Last year was Reese's when it came to winning acting awards, but this year she is blowing every other actress off the red carpet with her fresh, gorgeous gowns, sexy hair and dewy skin (take that, Ryan!). I love the layering and color gradation on this gown; it's a modern take on a traditional (and often overdone) shape, and I love that she paired it with tousled, laid-back hair and left the accessories at home. She certainly didn't need anything else to distract from her beauty.

This dress isn't a showstopper in the way that Reese's or Emily's is, but it's different from what we normally see and it looks incredible on Jessica Biel. I love the magenta color, cutout back and waist-cinching belt. It's rare to see mod on the red carpet, but this definitely works. Jessica knows how to work what she's got (she's perfected the "I'm not looking over my shoulder just to show off my ass, I was just distracted by something behind me" pose). I think she wears padded underwear, but I digress... I don't like her hair (the color looks faded and the style does nothing for her), but her makeup looks fab.

Cate Blanchett's daring attitude toward fashion sometimes comes back to bite her, but I think she took all the right risks when she chose this stunning sparkly gunmetal gown. It's futuristic while still flattering, and the color looks incredible against her skin and hair. I wasn't able to include a larger photo of the dress, but the detailing (it's all beaded, by the way) is amazing. I would've matched this dress with softer hair, but overall, Cate looks regal and beautiful.

WORST DRESSED

It appears as if J.Lo has gone into labor on her way into the show and is practicing her lamaze technique so she doesn't drop before she gets inside. No, seriously, it's one thing to have a ridiculous facial expression (is this her idea of a sexy pout?), but why does J.Lo, whose curves nearly gained national landmark status, look bloated and possibly pregnant? The fabric is beautiful and I love the top, but this heavy, matronly dress does nothing to flatter her still-smokin' body.

Cam, you know I feel your pain. After your Globes catastrophe, I told you that we all know what it feels like to get dumped (though I'm guessing it's a 'lil harder when your ex is currently the biggest pop star in the world), but that there are other ways to grieve, and it's no excuse to take your pain out on the millions of Oscars viewers who want to see pretty women in pretty dresses. Take a page from the Reese Witherspoon post-divorce book and get your revenge by looking amazing. And while you're at it, lay off the tanning, stay away from white (it's just not your color!) and get a new stylist and hairdresser... trust me, you're worth it.

Isla Fisher is in a position we've all been in. She fell in love with a dress that she wasn't planning on wearing for a few months, and gained some weight in the meantime. When the big day came and it was time to wear the gown, she went into denial, insisted it still fit, and wore it anyway. Sadly, we'll never know how hot this dress originally looked, because the beautiful Isla is simply one move away from a major wardrobe malfunction. There's nothing wrong with a little weight gain, but there's no excuse for wearing a dress that simply doesn't fit.

The most entertaining moment of the show, hands down, was the duet shared by Jennifer Hudson and Beyonce. The competition and hatred between these two women (well, let's be honest, the hate is only going one way) was palpable as they sang their hearts out for the title of "2007's Top Diva." But this list is for fashion, not performances, and I just want to know why Jennifer Hudson, who had first pick of every designer dress in the world, ended up in this pleasant but unoriginal gown with unflattering pockets and the world's ugliest bolero jacket. I also don't like the hair (a side ponytail is one thing, but there's way too much volume here), but it's secondary to my disappointment that Jennifer couldn't "wow" us again with a fabulous gown.


Eva Green, I know you try, but you just can't pull off the sexy vampire look. As much as you tease your scary hair and wrap yourself with gauzy fabric like a mummy bride, you're not Angelina Jolie (she knew that scary hot went out of style not long after heroin chic). The look on your face, that totally forced attempt at a piercing stare, is enough to nominate you for a Razzie. You deserve full credit for wearing a color never before seen on the red carpet: industrial paper towel brown. Finally, my sympathy goes out to your train, which try as it might, is simply not strong enough to escape from the clutches of your dress.

That's it for my 2007 Oscars fashion roundup... blogging this year's awards season and hearing all of your responses has been a ton of fun and I can't wait until next year! Be sure to check back later this week as I post my runners-up for best and worst dressed and let me know what you think about my picks and pans in the comments below.

Updated: Click here for Part 2!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

but where is penelope?!she looks fantastic and 100%glamorous

Meg said...

I know people aren't going to be happy with me about this, but I just didn't love Penelope's gown. Versace has done similar gowns for other megastars (I recall two that J.Lo wore over the last couple of years, one green, one white, with a different skirt) and I didn't think that this pale pink color did much for her skin. I also think she should have worn her hair down.

It is a beautiful dress, but I'm not a big fan of those huge feathery skirts and the top looks incredibly tight and uncomfortable (to me at least). The best view is definitely from the back, where the skirt is really beautiful.

Penelope would look gorgeous in anything, so the fact that she looks as beautiful as she normally does (and I definitely think she's looked even better) doesn't mean much to me.

Sorry Penelope/Versace lovers!

Distar said...

i loved Gwyneyth's dress the most...

And I thought Reese was so so.. no where close to the GG yellow stunner.

Penelope I thought looked terrible. And what was with Emily Blunt's hair?

Carolyn said...

Great blog! J.Lo is getting a lot of flak for looking pregnant in that gown -- but possibly she is pregnant?

p said...

Sorry but p said:
Penélope!, Penélope! Pénelope ist... As Penélope... ¡¡¡no hay ninguna!!!

Anonymous said...

Did anyone else think that the usually fab Kate Winslet looked ill in that dress? I thought the color was horrible and made her look like she just returned from puking in the sink.

Anonymous said...

i think cameron diaz looked awsomly wonderful
she looks great in almost anything!!!!! but they had 2 put her as 1 of the worst dresses!!!! L.O. looked horrible.

Anonymous said...

cameron diaz ROCK!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I thought Thandie Newton looked great. The Yellow dress with flowers up the back was remarkable. She looked superb!!! Why didn't you put her on the list???!!!

Anonymous said...

isla is pregnant.

Anonymous said...

oh my god oh my rab!!!

Anonymous said...

i personally hated Tilda Swinton's dress, he skin is way to fair to wear black. also she looked as if she just got out of bed. she had her hair messily thrown up, the only jewlry she had on was a bracelet, and she had absolutely no makeup on.