Sunday, February 04, 2007

Review: Olay Moisturinse In Shower Body Lotion

A few weeks ago, I was lucky to run into a family friend who works in the health and beauty department of Proctor and Gamble (the company behind brands such as Cover Girl, Pantene, Herbal Essences, Max Factor, SK-II, Head and Shoulders, Olay, and about a gazillion other brands) and I jumped at the opportunity to ask him about which products he recommended.

He said that the beauty product with the best customer feedback, among all their brands, is the Olay Moisturinse In Shower Body Lotion. According to him, it's a lifesaver for anyone with dry skin. I've used Olay products before, but I'd never heard of this one, or the concept of a lotion you apply in the shower, and I was skeptical. He explained that it's like a conditioner for your legs, and it saves you the step of applying lotion after the shower. And because of the interaction between the product and the warm water of a bath or shower, it penetrates the skin better than a normal lotion.


It all sounded a little like marketing BS to me, but as the weather continued to get colder, the lack of humidity from blasting the heat all day has made my skin bone dry. My legs in particular get very itchy from the dryness, and I was applying heavy lotion to them at least 3 times a day. I finally remembered what the P&G guy had said, and went and picked up a bottle of the Moisturinse (the version for extra dry skin) and tried it in the shower that night. After using my regular body wash, I applied a quarter sized amount to each leg (and a little on each arm) and let it soak in while I washed my conditioner out, then lightly washed it off. Normally, if I don't apply lotion within 5 minutes of leaving the shower, my legs become dry, red and itchy, but I noticed that they felt smooth and moisturized already, and it lasted for over a day. I can go full days not having to apply lotion (though on especially dry days when I've showered in the morning, I'll slather on some Nivea before going to bed). But really, I've never used a body moisturizer that's compared to this- the stuff is incredible.

If you have dry or very dry skin, you should stop by the drug store or supermarket and pick up a bottle of Moisturinse (the bottle costs about $5, a great deal for a lot of product). I don't think I'll need it once the weather warms up, but I can't live without it during the winter.

2 comments:

JaneC said...

Wow, thanks for the tip--I've never heard of this product before but it sounds like I ought to try it.

I don't live where it gets bitter cold anymore...now I live in a desert, where it's warm but dry, dry, dry.

Anonymous said...

I use this everday! Can't live without it. It's a must have in anyone's toiletries!