Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Contest Entry #1, Larissa

As promised, here is one of the entries to the contest I began today. I'll continue accepting e-mail entries until April 5. Remember, the idea behind this is to share product recommendations and give others suggestions, so don't forget to comment if you agree that a product totally rocks or if you found that it never worked for you. Thanks to everyone who already submitted, it's been a lot of fun to "spy" on your daily routines! Finally, I've asked a number of my favorite bloggers to mail in their routines, so I'll be posting those in the coming days as well. Let the product gossip begin!

Larissa, age: 35

Skin: dry, sensitive and prone to blackheads (but not breakouts, usually), pale
Hair: fine, zero body, straight, brunette

Morning Shower Routine:

Hair - Eufora's AloeTherapy Volumizing Shampoo and Daily Balance Light Conditioner. My stylist turned me on to these as they're great for coloured hair, and they don't weigh down my super-fine strands. I wash my hair every two days to make my semi-permanent color last longer (used to be every day). Once a week I use the VO5 Hot Oil Treatment; makes my hair so shiny, soft and full ... and it's so cheap!
Body - um, regular old Ivory soap. I don't feel clean with anything else.
Face - Philosophy's Purity Made Simple Cleanser. My friend gave her bottle to me after it made her break out .... I was afraid the same thing would happen with my sensitive skin, but I've been using it for about a month and my skin is GREAT. Also, twice a week I use Kiehl's Pineapple-Papaya Facial Scrub - I love it, it really tightens up my pores, but you need to leave it on for 10-15 minutes in order for it to do anything (doesn't say this anywhere on the packaging).

Post-Shower:

Body - either Neutrogena Sesame Body Oil or Oil of Olay Quench Moisturizer
Face - Cetaphil Moisturizer. I think I've bought every facial moisturizer on the damn market with SPF, and everything - I mean, EVERYTHING - makes me break out. Still searching ...
Hair - Aveda Phomellient (it's ok ... not the greatest thing ever but it'll do the job until it runs out), and a bit of John Frieda's Color Seal. I bought this to help keep my red highlights .. not sure it's done anything for this, but it works nicely as a hair gloss

Makeup:

Foundation - MAC Select Tint with SPF 15 (why this doesn't make me break out but SPFs in moisturizer do, is a mystery). When I run out out of this I think I'm going to check out the Bare Escentuals mineral line
Powder - MAC Studio Fix
Eyes - MAC Omega powder, Benefit BadGal mascara
Lips - Shisiedo Sheer Gloss Lipstick in Honey Tea (got a sample of this a year ago and it's still going strong), or Body Shop Cranberry lip gloss

Night (ok, I'm admittedly bad for this. I work at a restaurant and when I come home exhausted from work at 2am or so, it's sometimes all I can do to take out my contacts. BUT when I'm good....):
Makeup Remover - Body Shop Chamomile Eye Makeup Remover
Cleanser - again, the Philosophy Purity Made Simple cleanser
Moisturizer - Biotherm Age Fitness 2 .. and twice a week, Vaseline. Seriously, my skin always looks phenomenal the morning after I use Vaseline, no redness, even skin tone, no flakiness, reduced pores. My eyes will be a bit puffy for about 1/2 hour after I wake up, but it always goes down. Best thing ever!

5 comments:

sparkler said...

If you have problems with facial moisturizers, you may want to try pure jojoba oil. This has seriously saved my skin – it keeps it soft and smooth without letting it get oily or greasy, and it's hypo-allergenic. Two or three drops is enough, so a bottle lasts a while!

Dana said...

I am new to reading this blog, but couldn't resist - if you like the philosophy Purity made simple, try skipping your eye makeup remover. Just dampen face, then massage Purity over eyes and whole face for 30-60 seconds (it's not like other cleansers, but works over a minute's time, dissolving impurities).

I have their "makeup optional" skincare kit and LOVE it. I have dry, sensitive, pale skin more prone to enlarged pores around nose and some redness in chin/nose area rather than blemishes. I have always had "good" skin, but it's pretty much awesome now. The "Hope in a Jar" moisturizer rocks. I think the whole kit was about 60.00 US. It also had 3 packs of their 2 part microderm product set. I got some advice that each packet really has more like 2 uses in it, so that's 6 wks worth. First use on it was a bit irritating but on second use it's been much better.

I used to work for a major cosmetic line, so have tried it all...

Distar said...

abt moisturizer w/spf making you break out- I read in an interview w/Cameron Diaz that she always broke out no matter what products she used until she stopped using spf moisturizer and switched to spf in a powder form.

Maybe something to check out?

Meg said...

Sparkler- I keep putting it off, but I really have to try jojoba oil... everyone swears by it but I'm still scared about leaving oil on my face (I use an oil cleanser but I always follow it with Cetaphil). When I finally build up the courage to give it a try (god, I'm so lame), I'll write a review about it.

Dana- I hadn't heard of the makeup optional kit from philosophy but that sounds like something that would really work well on my skin. Philosophy is expensive but it sounds like it's worth the extra money. Thanks for your comment!

Distar: Do you have any suggestions for a sunscreen in powder form? The only thing I can think of is a mineral makeup powder foundation, but that won't have a very high SPF. Good tip though, if it works for Cam Diaz, it should probably work for anyone.

ang said...

This is the only powder sunscreen other than the make-up form, that I've come across. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm planning to buy it for summer just as soon as my PTR lotion is finally used up. I'm planning on layering it over my mineral powder foundation to double-up on the protection. No idea if it's any good, though...

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P175109&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=3728