Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Contest Entry #3: Gala

I mentioned earlier that I asked a few of my favorite bloggers to contribute to my contest by contributing a list of the products they use on a daily basis. I read a lot of beauty blogs and beauty bloggers are always being asked about what products they use. They're the experts, so this comes as no surprise, but there are a lot of other super stylish, product-crazy bloggers out there who cover other topics, and I wanted to know what they used as well.

This first blogger entry comes from Gala who runs Gala Darling, a site that covers just about everything related to living a fabulous life, where you can get tips on everything from how to get a fabulous haircut to how to adjust when moving to a new city to how to get a tattoo you'll never regret. Gala's opinionated, insightful, sweet and always has a creative take on things, which is why her blog is so much fun to read.

When I first read Gala's routine, I wasn't surprised one bit by her product choices. She's loyal to two brands in particular that totally embody her blogging personality, MAC and LUSH. They're bold, colorful brands with a lot of wit and attitude, and I could totally see why she'd be drawn to their products.

I've read a lot of entries so far and I know that Gala isn't the only MAC and LUSH addict... anyone else have recommendations of products from these lines?

Gala, female, 23 years old.
Skin type: fairly normal, pale, a bit drier in winter, a bit oilier in summer.

Morning routine:
(Shower)
Shampoo & conditioner: Dumb Blonde from Tigi's Bedhead range. I've been using these for a while, & found them quite exceptional when my hair was pink (held the colour & were very restorative in terms of moisturising my damaged tresses). They're not really doing the trick for me now, as my hair is white. Feel like I need some purple shampoo. Lush used to do one called Daddy-O but it's been discontinued! Boo!
Soap: Anything by Lush. I really can't use anything else now, I've been totally spoilt. At the moment I'm using Almond Cake (Christmas special edition), but I also love Rock Star, Honey I Washed The Kids & Alkmaar.

(Face)
Cleanser: Always Lush. Either Angels on Bare Skin or Ultrabland.
Toner: Again, always Lush! I'm using Tea Tree Water at the moment but they are all fairly similar to me.
Moisturiser: I used to be a deadset devotee to Lush's Afterlife, but it has unfortunately been discontinued in Australia. Currently I'm using Lush's Cosmetic Lad but I'm not very satisfied with it. I'm in the market for something else!

(Makeup)
Primer: M.A.C. Prep + Prime. I absolutely love this, nothing gives me a better base to work from.
Concealer: M.A.C. Select Moisturecover. I'm happy with this but I'm looking for something with better coverage of dark circles. I think M.A.C. Studio Fix Concealer SPF 35 is going to be my best bet.
Foundation: M.A.C. Studio Fix, though I'm thinking about upgrading to M.A.C. Select SPF 15 Moistureblend...
Powder: M.A.C. Blot Powder.
Eyeliner: M.A.C. Fluidline in Blacktrack. I apply it with a 269 Medium Angle brush. (Again, M.A.C.. Do I have a problem?!)
Eyeshadow: All M.A.C., all the time. My favourites are Aquadisiac, Parfait Amour, Jewel Blue & Honesty.
Mascara: M.A.C. Fibrerich Lash, & an eyelash curler of course!
Lipstick: M.A.C. Red or M.A.C. Bombshell.
Lipbalm: The Body Shop's Cocoa Butter Lip Care Stick. It's definitely the best lip balm I've ever used.

At night-time I repeat my morning face routine.

6 comments:

Gala said...

Oh, BLUSH BLUSH! You're such a sweetheart. Thanks for the feature :>

Luxe Gurl said...

I love MAC products for the great colors they offer and interesting cutting edge products... but I've had some issues with it clogging my pores. Is LUSH a really strong cleanser? Maybe I need to try that. Otherwise any suggestions for comparable lines to MAC that offers the same rich pigments and coverage?

Gala said...

Luxe Gurl -- I used to work for Lush so I can help you, maybe! Lush has a few different cleansers for different purposes. I use Angels On Bare Skin which is gentle enough to use every day but which has a little bit of scrub in it. There are definitely others which are a bit harsher, like Ocean Salt or Sweet Japanese Girl (great for blackheads). I suggest going into your closest Lush shop or having a dig around on www.lush.com !

willikat said...

i love mac, too. and nars. they both have a lot of pigment in their products so they come out nice and true to th ecolor you see...plus they last longer. my picks from mac are: bbq lipliner, nymphette lipglass, any of their gel eyeliners, powerpoint eyeliner in permaplum, the pigments, eyeshadow in au revoir, beuatiful iris, sumptuous olive, expensive pink, hush, tilt, and the shadesticks--they keep color on FOREVER. and as for drugstore brands, i think not even diorshow mascara can beat l'oreals voluminous

Anonymous said...

Great products, but I hope you're using a makeup remover at night, Gala :)

Kimberly said...

The MAC pigments are wonderful - as a warm-skinned redhead, I've found that their Blue/Brown pigment works on me not only as eyeliner but also as a lipcolor, when mixed with balm.

The Lush Big Hair shampoo rocks! Yes, it feels like you're just rubbing salt in your hair, but it works magic.