Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Contest Entry #6- Pauline and G

I've gotten a lot of very interesting contest entries these past week, but one that I received today really caught my attention. In this entry, Pauline contrasted her beauty routine with that of her boyfriend's, and while I wouldn't consider Pauline high maintenance in any sense, it's funny just to compare how many more products she uses (and invariably, how much extra time she spends) than her boyfriend. Guys have it so easy...

One strange thing that I notice about a lot of guys' routines is that they use prescription products (for acne or dryness usually) but won't use an actual face wash or moisturizer. My boyfriend gave me a look of confusion when I first mentioned face wash, he thought that everyone just used bar soap all over. I think a lot of men feel like they're stuck with the skin type they're given and have no recourse against breakouts, dryness, irritation, etc. It takes a thoughtful sister, friend or girlfriend to introduce them to wonders such as moisturizer, spot treatments, conditioner, face wash and all of the other basics women take for granted. Knowledge is power, boys!

Pauline, 20 years old

Skin type/color: normal/dry, medium/tan

Hair type/color: Fine, straight normally black hair. Currently, it's some version of auburn

Morning Routine:

Shampoo: Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration or Pantene Smooth & Sleek Conditioner: Hello Hydration Conditioner or Pantene Smooth & Sleek Conditioner
I like a little variety in my routine, and sometimes the very fruity smell of Herbal Essences is too much or just right.
Body Wash: Dove Moisture Wash
Face Wash: Clean & Clear Oil-Free Daily Cleanser
Face Moisturizer: Clean & Clear Oil-Free Dual Action Moisturizer, followed by Kiehl's Cryste Marine Firming (Eye) Cream
Body Moisturizer: Curel Continuous Comfort Moisturizing Lotion (Body, Hands, Feet)
I LOVE Curel, it's really the best and cheapest body moisturizer you could buy. It saves my dry skin, and repairs my dry hands and feet during winter in no time at all.

Makeup:

This routine varies daily. The amount and effort I put in truly depends on my mood and if I have something to do (of course),
Concealer: Physicians Formula Circle Rx™ Circle Control Concealer or Gentle Cover Concealer Stick
My under-eye circles are really noticeable, and I think I might have to splurge on MAC concealer of some sort. This is what happens when you don't sleep! I do like the coverage and feel of Physicians Formula, I just need something with more lasting power. Also, I definitely want something I can wear alone.
Powder: Everyday Minerals Mineral Powder in Medium Tan (Intensive Formula)
I tried using Bare Escentuals mineral makeup, but I just did not like the feel. My face felt grainy and it felt heavy on my face. I use Everyday Minerals because they offered a nice "Sample" kit, and I really like the texture (none!) and the different formulas available.
Eyeliner: I don't usually like using eyeliner, but if I do, I usually just turn any of my eyeshadows into a wet eyeshadow and apply it that way. It really lasts, and I don't get the extreme look of liquid eyeliner.
Eyeshadow: Cargo, Urban Decay, and Stila have become my favorites.
For every day, I like to use Cargo's "Windsor" as a base and "Georgia" as a highlighter. "Georgia" is a really nice light gold that I feel really compliments my skin tone.
Mascara: Tweezerman Eyelash Curler, Maybelline Volume Express Waterproof Mascara
I really like this mascara, even thoughi t's cheap, I feel like it really gets the job done. (I'm a Walgreens-Fanatic!!)
Lipstick: Revlon Smoothest Wine, Avon lipgloss in cranberry (I Think)
Lipbalm: The Body Shop's vitamin E SPF 15 lip balm, on really cold days I slather on Vaseline Lip Therapy

For male contrast, I've asked my boyfriend to let me in on his beauty "secrets" and found there to be none. It's pretty interesting to see the contrast between your boyfriend and mine, and I'm definitely going to work on some things, such as use of conditioner.

G, 19 years old

Skin type/color: Normal with Dry T-Zone, medium/tan

Hair type/color: short, straight, black, occasionally spiked

Morning Routine:
Shampoo: Herbal Essences' "None of your Frizziness", Sister's shampoo, enjoys Mandarin scent
Conditioner: (Does not use conditioner, feels that it's too feminine. I will work on that one...)
Body Wash: Dial Body Wash
Face Wash: Dial Body Wash
Face Moisturizer: Keri Advanced Moisture Therapy

Powder/Blush/Mascara/Lipstick: "no."
Lip balm: Vaseline Lip Therapy

Night Routine: "Brush my teeth, put on my jammies..." That's where it ends.

Makeup Remover: "No."

Prescription products: Hydrocortisol for some extremely dry spots, especially around the neck, daily use

No comments: