Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Review: Product Body

I have a routine that I go through every time I finish my midterms or finals. After I've finished my last test and handed in that final paper, I realize just how gross my life has become. I've been too busy furiously studying to shower more than once every few days, I've put off doing laundry to the point where I'm reusing socks and oblivious to the fact that my favorite sweatshirt has tea stains all over it (I probably drink 3-4 cups a day during that week), and underneath the books and piles of paper strewn all over my floor is a dust bunny party that's been raging uninterrupted for far too long.

And as exhausted as I may be, I get this unstoppable urge to clean everything in sight. I do 3 loads of laundry, vacuum and scrub my floors, dust all surfaces and organize everything (luckily a Queer Eye marathon was on Bravo, so I had extra motivation to renovate my life). Then when I'm finished and my room looks as beautiful and sparkling clean as the day I moved in, I take a long, relaxing shower and let myself unwind for the first time in days.

Luckily, I had two samples of Product Body products to try- Crush on You, an exfoliating body cleanser, and Whipped Shea Butter, which is exactly what it sounds like. After shampooing and conditioning my hair, I scooped out a little of the Crush on You and started scrubbing it on my arms and legs. It's a wonderful exfoliant, but the real bonus is the shea butter and macadamia oil that leave skin soft and smooth, without the need for lotion. I made everyone in my family feel my arm just to prove how well it worked and even they were amazed. It's very moisturizing, but because it has cleansers in it, you don't need to use an additional body wash, even if you're as sweaty and gross as I was.

A few downsides to Crush on You: the scents I tried were nice but nothing amazing. Pink grapefruit smells like pink grapefruit but wasn't strong and citrusy enough for my taste. And Yuzu, which smelled fantastic in the jar, was way too sweet when I used it in the shower. It smells like a very sweet mandarin orange, and I tend to prefer my citrus scents to be more tart than sweet. My final complaint (and these are all pretty minor) is that every time I use this product, I can't help but get Mandy Moore's "Crush on You" song in my head. I didn't like this song when it came out and I certainly don't like it now, but for some reason it's always there and I'm forced to just give in and hum while I scrub.

The other Product Body product I recommend is the Whipped Shea Butter. This body moisturizer is definitely best when used at night, because when the butter hits your skin it melts and turns to oil, which feels wonderful, but isn't practical if you want to do things with your hands (all my books have oily fingerprint stains on them now but I really don't mind). It's very moisturizing, feels lovely and the scents are incredible. I tried the Lemon Essential and Vanilla Mango, but the Vanilla Mango is my favorite, as it smells good enough to eat.

Product Body products are handmade in small batches, made with locally grown and natural ingredients whenever possible. Because of this, they don't come cheap: Crush on You retails for $22 for 8 oz and Whipped Shea is $16 for 1.5 oz. This is more than I usually pay for body products, but after trying the samples I decided the price was justified and bought the full-sized products. The packaging is really pretty, the products work well and are a joy to use and the customer service was top-notch (Product Body founder Joanna Schmidt is as sweet as they come). Each jar will also last a long time, as a tiny bit of product goes a really long way (I was able to use a 1 oz sample of Crush on You for almost 2 weeks).

If you've had a stressful day (or week, or year) and have a little cash to burn, you should definitely give Product Body a try. I feel like I'm at the spa every time I use them, and they'll make great gifts for any friend who deserves a little pampering.

1 comment:

Christina H. said...

Product Body's Crush on You is great! But every time I use it I get Lil Kim's "Crush On You" in my head...hahaha!