Thursday, March 01, 2007

Sorry Givenchy, Clowns Aren't Hot

I've been writing a lot of very positive reviews lately. I don't know if I've just been lucky enough to come across cool products in the last couple of months, or I've just been in a good mood and don't feel like bitching about anything. But there comes a time when a cosmetics company comes up with such an unappealing, mind-bogglingly ugly and impractical collection that I have to say something.

Tell me, do you want to look like the woman in this photograph?

I really don't know what a cosmetics company is thinking when they release a collection of impossible to wear shades. At best, anyone who isn't a professional clown will buy one or two pieces, maybe the blue mascara or the fuchsia lip gloss, to wear with an otherwise neutral face. At worst, those of us who prefer not to be laughed out of a room will simply stay far away from it. Who do they really think is going to want to buy multiple products from this collection?

Of course, there is a time and place for wild makeup. Friends of mine who are talented makeup artists are able to pair, blend and apply colors in such a way as to make pale blue eyeliner look extremely attractive. I don't advocate Bobbi Brown palettes for Halloween, theme parties or a night on the town with your girlfriends. And I think everyone has gone through a phase where we feel like artists when combine green and pink and orange eyeshadow to match our colorful outfit. Luckily, what happens in middle school stays in middle school.

But that's what MAC and NARS and all the great makeup artist lines that have a few really crazy colors in each product line are for. They still know that their regular seasonal collections must focus on wearable colors (not necessarily neutral, but flattering).

It dawned on me while I was writing this that these colors might be quite wearable on women with darker complexions, but still, you're not going to wear multiple products at once.

If you're dying to wear the latest trends and colors, save your money and stop by the drugstore for some Wet 'n Wild. Your wallet and makeup bag (when you've grown sick of the color and want to ditch it) will thank you.

Givency's Arty Color Collection, available at Sephora.

7 comments:

daddylikeyblog said...

oh sweet jesus.

sparkler said...

It's not everyday wearable all at once, but I would still probably buy the eye shadow palette and use one or two colors at a time.

(Personally, though I wouldn't show up for work that way, I think the makeup on the model really does look gorgeous.)

Libby said...

This collection would be great as a birthday present for a fourteen year old.

Lauren said...

I couldn't agree more!

Beauty Bug said...

You hit the nail right on the head Meg - great post. I laughed and nodded my head while reading.

Daniella Bellini said...

I agree completely. This Givenchy palette is unwearable and ridiculous. This what I wrote about it a couple weeks ago. Hope you enjoy it.

http://thefashionistpost.blogspot.com/2007/02/crayola-caddy.html

By the way I love your blog!

Meg said...

Hey Daniella- Love your site! I'm happy I'm not the only one who thought this collection was ridiculous; looks like great minds do think alike!