Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Deodorant Dilemma

Walk through any drugstore and you'll find hundreds of different deodorants touting claims like "strong enough for a man" and "completely invisible" and promising to make your armpits smell and feel "Powder Fresh!" Each brand promises something new and different, but for some reason, they all work exactly the same way and never live up to their promises. Sure, you might be able to come across something that doesn't leave white marks, but it won't keep you from sweating, or you can find a deodorant with a lovely scent but it gets all over your clothes. When you consider what advances we've made in other areas of personal hygiene technology, one has to wonder why no one has been able to create a deodorant/antiperspirant that actually does what it's supposed to.

There are all kinds of prescription strength antiperspirants, and some people pay $1000 to get their armpits injected with Botox to stop sweating altogether, but there has to be something that those of us who are prone to sweating can do that doesn't require such desperate measures. I tend to sweat a lot when I get nervous, which especially problematic because this often occurs during moments when I'm trying my hardest to give a good impression (first dates, job interviews, public speaking, etc). And of course, fearing that someone's going to notice that you're sweating only makes you sweat more, and a terrible cycle has begun.


I tried men's antiperspirants, hoping that the added strength would help, but I ended up only smelling like "Mountain Rush" all day, with no decrease in sweat production. Eventually I brought this up to my doctor, and he suggested that I try Certain Dri, which is prescription strength but available over the counter. There is nothing sexy about this product, but it does what very few others do, which is actually work. You swipe it on at night (using just a little bit, and never after shaving because it will sting) and for the next day your armpits barely sweat. It's kind of mindboggling, to be honest. I'll go to the gym, hit the treadmill for an hour, and while my hair, sports bra and shirt are soaked, my armpits are still totally dry.

It doesn't wash off in the shower, and claims to work for 84 hours in a row, though I try to put it on every night (even when I forget for a couple days, the effects usually still lasts). It's also a liquid, so there's no residue on your body or your clothes. The only downside to the product is that it isn't a deodorant, meaning that your armpits will still smell a bit even if you're not sweating. So you have to use two products (one at night, one in the morning), but this is not a bad tradeoff for never having sweat stains again.

Certain Dri is available at most drugstores in the deodorant aisle, and is available online for $5.99.

Anyone else have recommendations for a deodorant/antiperspirant that works well? How about one that doesn't leave white marks? I still have yet to find a product that doesn't get on clothes at all.

25 comments:

H said...

I should try that in combination with deodorant. I tend to sweat a little bit too, also usually at inopportune times.

I have a horrible time with deodorant. I don't like the way the gel-ish ones feel, and I like Dove, but I use the one that isn't supposed to leave white marks - the one from the commercial where they have the girls turn their shirts inside out - and I still end up with white all over me, all the time. I don't understand it.

Allison Rae said...

I sweat a LOT and spent years and years trying to find the right antiperspirant/deodorant for me. I also had a growing concern for aluminum and how it was poking holes in my brain.

Enter Adidas Absorbent-Deo. It was ONE DOLLAR at Walmart (seriously.) and uses cotton technology. There's not too much on the web about it but it's incredible. It's a deodorant but works like an antiperspirant and is aluminum-free! It has a nice, fresh smell and hasn't made the first mark on my mostly dark wardrobe.

I highly recommend it :)

Christina and Emily said...

I think you just saved me hundreds of dollars in future deoderant purchases. Thank you! I've actually tried the Addidas one that Allison Rae suggested, it didn't really work for me, but everyone is different.
My only concern is: do you think it's healthy? Though, regardless, i think i'm willing to risk it for no sweating.
-Christina

Kathryn said...

I found that exact combination (Certain Dri & regular deoderant) 2 years ago and haven't looked back.

I used to be embarassed about it, but not anymore as apparently this is a very common problem.

Distar said...

I tried Certain Dry and even that wasn't enough for me, as I sweat alot. The doctor prescribed Drysol (a prescription strength product) which you use every other night in the beginning, and then only once or twice a month and you're totally sweat free all the time. It's amazing.

It's an alternative for those who need something stronger that Certain Dry.

Becky said...

I used to use Certain Dri, but have sensitive skin and didn't enjoy the stinging sensation it produced, so I decided to try Kiehl's anti-perspirant. I have been using it for months now and have been really impressed with how well it works. It's a cream, so it rubs into your skin and doesn't leave any residue at all. Plus you don't need very much, so it lasts for forever (I'm still on my first tube). Of course, the true test will be the upcoming summer months, but I'm optimistic it will work just as well. The only negative thing I can say about it is that Kiehl's claims it's also a deodorant, but it's not really. But I'm okay with that mostly because then it doesn't fight with my perfume.

annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annie said...

Certain Dri is a life saver!!! Oh my goodness...after sweating through my maid of honor dress at my sister's wedding, a friend of mine recommended this and it's awesome! This is especially true in the summertime! You just need to remember to use it which is a little tough because deodorant is usually part of the morning routine instead of the nighttime one.
But this really works! A friend of mine has it down so that she only needs to use it every other day, since her body's now used to the treatment...
I will never be a bridesmaid again without Certain Dri.

Chelsea said...

I like to use plain old rubbing alcohol. I don't sweat much, but my b.o. is mighty, and rubbing alcohol kills all odor. I love it. It's cheap, I don't stink, and there are no scary chemicals.

MLE said...

Here's another vote for the Adidas deoderant - I really don't like anti-perspirants, nor do I like smelling like whatever those companies think women should smell like. I tried the Adidas and never looked back - no aluminum, no overly chemical smell, no residue on my clothes. And very little sweat.

Dora said...

I used to use Dove deoderant w/moisturizers which was nice because it glided on so smoothly and didn't dry out my skin. But recently, I was buying a new stick and saw some new scents from Secret.

Mostly of them smelled all right, but there was this one
called "Spanish Rose" that was nothing like I had ever smelled in a deoderant. Normally I hate deoderant scents but this one had a really fresh, cucumber-like smell. The first day I wore it people were telling me how much they loved my perfume and asking me what it was. They were surprised when I told them it's my deoderant! It doesn't glide on as nicely as the Dove one, but it is totally worth it for the great scent.

As for the adidas everyone seems to like, I tried it once and found it was really oily and didn't work at all for me. I guess everyone's skin is different.

Ang said...

distar--I use Drysol too and am very happy with the results. I still occasionally use it in combination with deoderant or other anti-persperant if I'm worried about a particularly sweaty day, but for the most part it has never let me down. Also, Drysol is great to use on your feet in the summer when wearing sandals and flats without socks!

Anonymous said...

I recently bought this new stuff thats "soft solid" and its a mix between a gel and a solid but it works really well.

Anonymous said...

Right Guard Xtreme-I always turn to the Power Stripe in times of need.

Miss A said...

I've used Drysol for years- the stuff seriously works!! Is Drysol the same thing as Certain Sry?

Anonymous said...

I think you are just really sweaty. Deodorant works just fine for me and all my friends.

Corey Doyle said...

I am definately going to give this a go. I've been known to have a few "ok Corey, do not lift your arms" moments and spent a few times in the office restroom in cahoots with the air blower trying to get rid of the spots. *sigh* :) I have about 15 tubes of deodorant and rarely do they work for long. Thanks!!!

The Glitterati said...

I have a friend that uses Drysol, and he says it works quite well (he had anxiety/sweating problems, which are much better now than they used to be). As far as I know, he uses regular deodorant during the day, but being a dude, he doesn't worry much about the white marks quite as much. But another vote for Drysol, I guess!

BeckyW said...

I just have to say thanks. I live in the deep south. It is getting hot here already. Excessive sweating has always been a problem for me. I was so excited to try Certain Dri. I have used it now about 5 days and it really seems to be working. I am so glad that you blogged about this. I am also glad to know about Drysol, if it comes to that in the summer months. THANKS!!!

Jennifer said...

I used the Adidas Absordent-Deo...and my boyfriend approached me one day to inform me I had developed BO. Quite embarrassing, I had this fear that I had BO for years and no one had ever told me, but it turns out it was the Adidas deodorant. I guess I picked the wrong scent!! It goes to show that products work differently on different people!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that the products referenced here are all great, but ya know my big beef? Can us GIRLS have some more good quality deodorants coming from the perfume manufacturers PLEEEZ. I mean, what ever happened to the notion of "layering fragrance" anyway? Maybe Certain Dri should team up with the perfume houses and come up with a WINNER!!!??? That's my 2 sense ;)

Anonymous said...

I tried the Adidas cotton tech deodorant, but it gave me a horrible rash under my arms--first time this has EVER happened with a deodorant.

I'm definitely going to give Certain Dri and the new dove prescription-strength product a try.

in terms of bridesmaid dresses--just don't wear satin. ever. ;)

Does anyone else get wet spots almost immediately when they dress in the morning? I feel like no matter what the day/temperature/clothing, my armpits are always wet.

Anonymous said...

I have an allergy to the main ingredients in deodorants, so I had to go ahead and get my armpits Botoxed. Insurance covered it, so if you find that products like Certain Dri and Drysol don't work for you, ask your dermatologist's staff to check with your insurance company to see if you can get the Botox covered. It pretty much changed my life.

Anonymous said...

i've had hyperhidrosis (sweaty palms) for years. and its pretty intense. i recently went to my doctor for a physical and mentioned it to him. he prescribed me drysol. i've been trying it, and it really hasn't worked as well as i had hoped. i'm beginning to consider getting botox injections in my hands. i'm just not big into the idea of injecting poisons into my palms.

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely going to try Drysol. Its a major problem that makes me really self conscious and it's nice to know i'm not alone.thanks so much.