Friday, April 20, 2007

Friday Finds: Dream Dresses

People deal with stress in many different ways. Some drink, some smoke, some exercise, others self-medicate. There have to be a few people who even use those useless stress ball things that I find work best when thrown at the head of the person annoying you. But when I get stressed out, I browse dresses online. Just feelin' a little down? I look at cute, casual sundresses and imagine myself looking fab at some chic Hamptons beach party. But on those days when I'm really ready to throw in the towel, I go for the heavy stuff- Bergdorf, Saks and Neiman's evening wear collections.

What is the likelihood that I will ever be able to afford this to-die-for Carmen Marc Valvo satin gown (retail: $264o), let alone have an opportunity to wear it? Chances are slim, but that doesn't keep me from imagining how I would feel walking into a room in it.

One of the reasons I created this blog was because I was fed up with reading fashion blogs that never featured clothes that I could afford. I make a conscious effort to feature fashionable, affordable and widely available clothes and accessories as much as I can. But there's a reason that "aspiration" has sold millions of fashion magazines, and propelled many high fashion blogs into popularity. I think that secretly, as practical and down to earth as we might view ourselves, we all fantasize about wearing incredibly beautiful, impractical, ridiculously expensive (seriously, how many families could be fed on $2640?) clothes. So for this week's Friday Finds, I'm asking you to let me indulge in a little fantasizing of my own. Here are a few things that I would pick up (or better yet, ask my two assistants to pick up) if I had an unlimited amount of cash.

This $8,990 Oscar de la Renta silk ball gown is what I'd wear to the annual Brooklyn Botanical Gardens fundraising gala. The gardens are one of my favorite places on earth, and I can only imagine that a black tie party there would be one of the few venues good enough for a gown like this.

This little $750 Tory Burch number that would look incredible for my 22nd birthday party (in my perfect world I'd also have the legs for this skirt).

Jake Gyllenhaal just called and he needs a date for the Oscars next weekend... am I free? I think I can make it if I get to wear this sophisticated Marc Bouwer gown.

At $450, I definitely wouldn't want to spill any drinks on this bright pink Badgley Mischka, but it works perfectly for a night on the town with my girlfriends.

I'm meeting my BFF Tim Gunn for our weekly lunch/gabfest at Per Se, gotta look elegant and grown up, but that shouldn't be a problem in this $700 Valentino Red dress.

In my dream job, I'd wear this Shalini sheath to work every day. For $2,200, I'd better get a lot of use out of it!

I had a tough time coming up with places to wear these dresses, mainly because I don't even know where someone with enough money to buy these clothes would wear them. Fundraisers, fancy parties and red carpet events every weekend? Sounds like fun, but it's not the life I'd like to live. For now, I'm content with simply fantasizing about the person I'd be in these clothes.

What is your "dream" outfit and where would you wear it?

7 comments:

-S said...

i love the tory burch mini dress. gorgeous! must.have. but probably never will. oh well.

Kathryn said...

when I feel that bad, I actually go to the store and try them on - Holt Renfrew is my "happy place"

my dream outfit - there was a picture in London Vogue in like 1986 (yes, I am OLD) of an evening dress - floor length black velvet, high off the shoulder neck, plunge back revealing the palest of pale pink satin lining cascading and sitting in lovely loose folds right at the base of the spine. I will one day own that dress and wear it to, well really, does it matter? I just want it.

Nichelle said...

I LOVE the Carmen Marc Valvo and the Shalini sheath.

I don't care for the Oscar de la Renta ball gown - but I admit to checking it out at Bergdorf's a few weeks ago - feeling the fabric, looking at myself in the mirror with it in front of me. I picked it up because I remembered Kerry Washington wearing it somewhere. I also saw Oprah's Oscar dress (Gucci). It was so light and airy in person, I couldn't believe it.

Believe me, you don't have to be rich to go to red carpet events and fundraisers! If I got my hands on that Carmen Marc Valvo, I would just figure out some place to wear it!

Christina and Emily said...

Thanks Meg! We did get tons of hits, it was madly exciting. I thought I was hallucinating when I saw our Stat counter thing. And I mean that in a good way! I love it that people read what we write, it's very inspiring. :) But I'll never forget you were our first link! It was kind of meaningful.

By the way, I love your "dream dress" post, it's very much in the wishful wardrobe spirit! I'd have to pick the carmen marc valvo, myself, in celebration of Manolo Link Day!

-Emily

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma said...

My dream dress would be one that I remember seeing in a Vogue back between 2000-2002 - not quite as way back as Kathryn, above, but still nothing that would still be in fashion! :)

I think it was by John Galliano and was a full-length strapless gown with a fitted bodice and a skirt that flared out. It was made up of long pieces of multicoloured material stitiched together, thus giving the impression of a ruched, vertically-striped floor-length cocktail dress in summery colours like magenta, citrussy limes and yellows, aquamarines and oranges. It was sooooo gorgeous and totally eye-catching.

But if I were going to the Oscars/Baftas, it would have to be the red dress with the flower shoulder strap that Kate Winslet wore by Oscar de la Renta a few years back :)

franki durbin said...

The Shalini sheath won me over. I'm convinced I could find enough reasons to wear it get a decent CPW (cost-per-wear) value out of it. Classic, sophisticated, timeless.

Nice collection of dresses!