Thursday, May 24, 2007

DiorShow-Off

In the vein of "This Is Spinal Tap's" famous amplifiers that turn all the way to 11, Christian Dior has created a mascara that thickens, lengthens, curls and amplifies lashes more than I thought was humanly possible. It's called DiorShow, and I decided to try it myself because so many of you raved about it during my "What's Your Routine" contest earlier this year.

I don't know why it took me so long to check it out, but when I finally did I felt like I'd gone 21 years without ever fully realizing my eyelash potential. With my light blonde hair, my lashes are barely visible without mascara, and since I'm generally a makeup minimalist, I always reach for a mascara that makes it look like I simply have naturally long, pretty lashes (you can read about my previous experiences with mascara here). But since I started using DiorLash, I've converted to the "I don't care if people can tell I'm wearing makeup, I look amazing" school of thought.

It's certainly not the most subtle look, but it's an amazing, "fake lashes without the falsies" look. With my pale skin and hair I couldn't even handle the black shade, but even with the brown I walk around feeling like my lashes could be seen from space.

The entire process of applying DiorShow is totally different from other mascaras I've tried. First, the tube is larger and heavier than your average mascara tube. And the wand is just enormous- the brush is at least an inch long and a centimeter high. When the Sephora sales associate whipped it out I could only imagine getting mascara all over my face every time I tried using it myself. This is a hazard you must accept if you're on the clumsy side, so keep a Q-Tip at hand at all times.

I find that curling my eyelashes isn't nearly as necessary with this mascara, as it's curling power is quite strong and lasts a long time. And because of the thickness of the product, it's necessary to brush through lashes between coats to prevent clumps.

Unlike every other mascara I've used, the product actually has a scent. The idea of having perfumed eyelashes is quite romantic, especially coming from the House of Dior, but those with extreme sensitivity to scents might want to be careful. But once you get the swipe, brush, wipe method down, you'll have incredible results.

As I said, this isn't a subtle look, and I wouldn't pair it with eyeliner or a dark shadow for day. But if you want a really dramatic eye, aside from applying falsies, you probably couldn't do much better than DiorShow.

6 comments:

ashley churchill said...

i have heard nothing but love for this mascara. it's what i'm buying when my much loved stila major lash runs out!!!

Adriana said...

I have been a Diorshow addict for a year so when the Diorshow blackout came out I had to have it. Do not buy it if you love Diorshow! The brush, one of the main reasons people buy Diorshow, is different, the product isn't as thick, and the lovely rose scent is gone. Yes it trully is the blackest mascara you will ever use, but a little of the luxury is gone. As is the curling power.

Kathryn said...

DiorShow has taken the place of Kiss Me in my heart - and it was a hard-fought battle!

Allison Rae said...

Holy Crap. That's all I can say about this mascara. I'm a redhead with super light, short, shrimpy lashes but with this...wow. I never believe hype and am always skeptical (especially of mascaras) of product claims.

I tried this at Sephora and the sales woman told me that her husband didn't want to let her out of the house wearing this...she's right! I have AWESOME lashes with this and they don't look too "done" and I can wear it at work and not look like a mini-hooker.

LOVE LOVE LOVE

Queen Michelle said...

I bought this when it first came out, which was as a limited edition about a year or 2 ago, and I never quite got the hang of it. I have very straight, reasonably short lashes and I can't say it made that much of a difference. Am I applying it wrong? Is there a right way to apply mascara?

H said...

ok i know this post is from forever ago but i have to share because i FINALLY went out and got diorshow after reading your review of it. and like allison rae i am a redhead with the puniest eyelashes and diorshow is AMAZING. and i even got my blond friend to get it too and now we are both obsessed/grateful. so thank you for the suggestion!!!! i read your blog daily but i have never commented - this time i couldn't help myself. ;)