Friday, May 18, 2007

Friday Finds: Espadrilles

Every year when May rolls around, I tell myself that I'm going to find the perfect pair of espadrilles. They're the ultimate in summer shoes, a little funky, a little feminine and perfect for pairing with an airy sundress or shorts and a tee. And assuming it's not sky high, the wedge heel is easy to walk in, making them very practical for people like me who live outdoors in the warmer months.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a pair of espadrilles that works for me. At 5'9 and very clumsy, I don't like to wear heels over 2 1/2 inches or so, partly because I feel more and more like a drag queen as I approach 6'0 and partly because I love the comfort and ease of flats, which don't threaten my sense of balance in the way that high heels do. Espadrilles are now being sold in all heights, but I find that the cutest pairs are still in the 3"-4" range. I've also had a hard time in the past finding a pair that wasn't clunky, as too many cheap espadrilles are.

But this year will be different, because I'm renewing my mission with greater enthusiasm and dedication to finding my dream shoes. There are so many outfits hanging in my closet crying out for an espadrille to complete their look for summer, and I will not let them down. Here are a few of my favorite pairs out there, in order of price.

Isaac Mizrahi for Target "Gabriela" Rope Wedge Sandal, $29.95

Restricted "Sand Castle" Espadrille, Zappo's, $45.95


Boutique Nordstrom "Tropez" Wedge, $59.95
Banana Republic Ticking-Stripe Peep Toe Wedge Espadrille, $68

Zinc "Ruby" Espadrille, Zappo's, $81.95

Banana Republic Ticking-Stripe Peep Toe Wedge Espadrille, $88

MICHAEL Michael Kors "Cabana" Sandal, Nordstrom, $97.95

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may go to Spain!! That's where the really good quality espardilles (alpargatas) are made anyway!!!

ambika said...

I actually like the cheapest one's best. The neutral colors will go with everything.

missa.vogue said...

The cheapest ones ... The first ones ... I have them! I bought them when they first came out. ... I love them :)

CC said...

Be proud of your height...I'm 5'3" and I hate it. My dream height is 5'9"! It's so hard finding nice jeans that are less than 34"...good luck with those espadrilles!

Anne said...

Love all your picks. This summer wedges are still in so time to shop for few...

Love your blog too although it is the first time here. (I don't know why didn't I find you earlier. ) Anyway, we'd love to invite you to join our network and feature your blog on our site from time to time. If you are interested, feel free to email me at: support at apples2apple.com for more detail.

Meg said...

I'm 5'9 and 3/4 in, so I can understand your plight. It's hard being tall. Most of my friends are short, and I grew tall early on. I've always felt like I stick out, but only lately have I thought that it's a good thing (now I really like the attention).

As for espadrilles, I never thought I'd like them. I've not been a huge fan of wedges in general, though I wore a pair of peep-toe black wedges at graduation - very feminine, wedge narrowed beautifully, black bow over each peep-toe.

Then just last week I found a pair of espadrilles at a consignment shop for super cheap. The top matches is in the same style as the bottom (same material as the sides and chunky, too) which I think really balances it out. Now I'm having so much fun seeing how many outfits they go with. It's a nice change from the white heels and flip flops.

VDOprincess said...

Those are all adorable. Delias has a couple of completely cute pairs of lower wedges, as well. Including these:

http://store.delias.com/item.do?categoryID=444&itemID=46790&sizeFilter=&colorFilter=&brandFilter=

Norma said...

Sooo cute! But do they last? I used to buy espadrilles years ago but the ropey stuff always came off, especially if they got wet. Has technology advanced to the point where they might last through a whole summer?

The mommanista said...

OH, I love the red ones!

Kari said...

Hi! I just found your blog (very nicely done, by the way) and I couldn't resist commenting...

Be proud of your height!!! I'm 5'9" as well and I love high heels - the higher the better. Don't let people make you feel awkward or clumsy just because they aren't as tall. Stand up straight, shoulders back, chin up, and wear whatever shoes make you happy.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Nice stuff. I found a cool news widget for our blogs at www.widgetmate.com. Now I can show the latest news on my blog. Worked like a breeze.