Friday, May 04, 2007

Friday Finds: Shirtdresses

Reading back through my archives, I realized just what a poor job I've done hiding my obsession with dresses. I try to be as unbiased as possible when it comes to my Friday Finds posts, highlighting as many different types of clothing and accessories for various body types and budgets. After my Dream Dresses post a couple of weeks ago, I vowed to pay more attention to other things, but I kept coming across these gorgeous shirtdresses and I found myself pulled back in.

Perhaps second only to my beloved wrap dress style, the shirtdress is one of the most universally flattering dress styles. Whether you have a straight, athletic body or are curvy and on the plus size, a well-fitting shirtdress with create an hourglass, feminine silhouette, creating a small waist in relation to your bust and hips.

It's also a very versatile style; pick the right color and a more conservative cut and you can make it business casual, but you can also go dress it up for a party by adding some funky accessories and a great pair of shoes. It's just so easy to look good in a shirtdress and adapt it to different situations...what's not to love?

Here are a few of my favorite shirtdresses on the market, organized by price:


Ruby Rox "Sailor" Shirtdress, Nordstrom, $35.90


Isaac Mizrahi for Target Belted Shirtdress, $39.99
I bought this dress yesterday and it's incredible (especially for the price). FYI though- the skirt is fuller than it looks in the photo and sizes run large (I normally wear a size 8 and I fit into a small). Definitely worth checking out next time you're at Target.


Style & Co. Linen Shirtdress, Macy's, $69.99


Lily Belted Eyelet Dress, Nordstrom, $98.00


Donna Ricco Dot Shirtdress, Nordstrom, $118.00

Anthropologie "Twigs and Branches" Shirtdress, $138.00

3 comments:

franki durbin said...

Believe it or not I purchased a terrific shirt dress from the Limited this spring. Black with a nice flair and a very fitted waist. The sleeves are 3/4 with button cuffs and can be rolled up for more casual wear.

I've paired it with chunky necklaces and heels and received incedible compliments. Let me add that I bought it on sale for $49! You just have to have an eye for things to find the right piece.

Julie said...

I adore the Mizrahi dress-- I bought it in both black and cream w/ stripe. I noticed that it fit fairly true-- I'm a medium-- but was a little odd in the bust. Mind, I am a little busty, but a safety pin to remedy badly placed buttons seems to work fine for me. The large was just TOO large.

Thanks for the tip!

Teek said...

I am pretty sure I've just bought the same Target dress, on clearance for $13.98! I especially love the rouching at the bust, which keeps the buttons from pulling, and the nice full skirt.(I am a 10 and the large is perfect, so YMMV on sizing based on body type)