Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Home Again!

Last Thursday I drove nearly 700 miles through 2 countries and 4 states in an overstuffed car with my mother. There's no question that I love my mom, and I even really like her most of the time. But 13 hours sitting next to each other made me thankful that I'm only home about 5 weeks a year. It's not that hard to be like the Gilmore Girls when 97% of your relationship is conducted through phone and e-mail, and I give major credit to anyone who lives at home and still has their sanity.

But since we've been home, mom and I have fallen into a very nice routine, and we're getting along fine. We drop everything at 4 to watch Oprah and laugh about her new and inventive ways to hide her weight gain each episode. She yells at me about my beauty products taking over the house and I pretend to care. And three times a week we go to water aerobics. I thought it would be kind of funny and ironic to replace my treadmill workout with a water aerobics class, sculling along with the gray-haired ladies in their floral, skirted suits. I safely bet on the fact that I'd be thinner than everyone else in the pool (I think this is why my mom previously started doing it, as she's the youngest in the class by 15 years and before me, the skinniest) and let me tell you, working out around people who are way older and fatter than you can do wonders for your self-esteem.

But my newfound love for water aerobics is not the only exciting thing that's happened since I got home. My sister Ellie, who I lovingly refer to as Smell (as in Smelly Ellie... I was a mean big sister) had her senior prom last Saturday.

For me and my high school dance-loving self, prom was one of the most anticipated events of my high school career. I think I bought my dress (the story of which I told in this post) a good 3 months in advance, and I booked hair, makeup and limousine appointments before most other people had dates (I realize now that this type of behavior qualifies me for starring in the documentary When Type A's Attack!). To make a long story short, prom was a very big deal to me, and I would discourage others from treating it this way because even though it was a nice, fun night with friends, it certainly wasn't the greatest day of my life.

My sister, on the other hand, forgot about prom until a couple of weeks before the dance. She told me that all the girls in her group were planning on wearing short dresses (her thought: "it's great, we'll be able to dance easily," my thought: "the horror! this is prom! the next time you'll get to wear a long, formal dress will be your wedding day!") and I helped her pick out a beautiful blue chiffon dress from BCBG. She was able to get a hair appointment last minute, and was planning on just asking the stylist to straighten her hair, but luckily they were able to convince her to go just a tad more formal with a 60's style half-up, half-down do.

With a couple hours to go before the dance, she realized 2 things. First, she needed to do her makeup, and second, she'd forgotten to shave her armpits and legs. So what did she do? She pulled up her dress, slathered on some shaving cream and stood in the tub and shaved. I just about died. Then she asked me to do her makeup (as I've mentioned many times, not one of my specialties) but it actually turned out quite nice. She did end up with DiorShow everywhere, but it was nothing a little Q-tip dipped in makeup remover couldn't fix. Her equally laid back best friend Tori stopped by a few minutes later and had me do her makeup as well, which also turned out great. Perhaps there is hope for my poor makeup application skills after all.

Yes, we look nothing alike.

We went to Ellie's friend's house to meet her date and take pictures of their group and let me tell you, if I could do a best and worst dressed list for these 22 high school prom-goers, I would. There was a whole lot of ugly in that limo. Since my mom doesn't indulge with gossip, I frantically searched around for someone to make catty remarks with, and found that my aunt was game. In both of our completely unbiased opinions, we agreed that my sister was the best dressed of the night, and I was so proud of her and her budding sense of style that I thought I'd share a few pictures from the night with you guys.

14 comments:

Emma said...

Aw, your sister looks so sweet! The dress is really cute as well. Being in the UK, I never had a prom so I *totally* missed out on the whole shebang, which I'm kinda annoyed about!

And her makeup looks groovy - well done you :)

Purlygirly said...

She does look fantastic. Nice work!

And please. Stop with the DiorShow, my wallet begs you. Today I actually stood in the mirror telling myself that new mascara would make my life better. It would, wouldn't it?

-a new and loyal reader.

Meg said...

emma- In general, American prom is totally overrated. Every TV show and movie treats it like it's second to your wedding day in importance but really, it's just a bunch of awkward 17 year olds trying to look grown up and cool. That doesn't mean it's not fun, it's just not the greatest thing ever.

purlygirly- Let me tell you, I love my DiorShow, but for the last few days I've been back to using my boring Clinique stuff. Diorshow can be a bitch to apply, as I always have to clean up my mess and work to steady my hand, so I'm saving it for special occasions. I'm sure you have lovely eyelashes with any cheapo mascara, so don't think for a second that your money is better spent on high maintenance DiorShow than anything else!

ambika said...

Love your sister's dress. I definitely laugh at the prom pics I've seen in blog land with all of the short dresses. I can remember exactly one girl wearing anything other than a full length dress to my prom and she was figuring she'd save the full length for her 'real' prom (she was a junior.)

Toya said...

She's a cutie!

dbli023 said...

Horray for being a new reader! I can agree with you about the fact that prom has gotten out of hand. Perhaps my views are skewed because I never went (still proud of the decision, school dances wern't my cup of tea). However, looking through prom pictures, I think girls are getting carried away with some Hollywood style that is not their own, (nor does it really come off looking so great). I know so many beautiful girls that make such poor fashion moves and, I think, have their own personal style wound too tightly around what's hot in LA right now.

Christina and Emily said...

Love your sister's dress, and great make-up job!

I totally had some nostalgic moments helping Emily get ready for the prom -- but I think I enjoyed getting her ready more than I did when I had to do it for myself. Less stress but all the fun!
-Christina

H said...

I love that dress! I wish I would have seen it before I bought a dress for the wedding I'm going to this weekend. =)

I was super excited for my junior prom, just so I could get the dress. My senior year I didn't even want to go and was dragged against my will to be third wheel to my friend and her boyfriend in her hand-me-down dress.

Kori said...

Oh my gosh, I love her dress! The detailing is so cute! this makes me excited for my prom next year :]

kesia said...

OMG YOUR SISTER LOOKS WONDERFUL!!! and well done for the makeup! I *really* can´t wait for my prom!!

Meg said...

(a different Meg)

The dress is totally cute. I love the color. I do love long prom dresses, though. I was such a tomboy in high school and even I wore a long, violet dress, had my hair done, had fake nails (for the first time ever), and wore makeup. I even had a tiara from Claire's. I felt like such a princess. Of course, I also had a wonderful prince who I am now married to.

Lauren said...

i think prom is just not as formal today as it was and that is just sad. my cousin just went ( i got called in for hair, make-up, and accessory duty) and didn't even have shoes picked out until 2 hours before the dance when i brought her the perfect pair. its not even that she knew i had them, she just hadn't even thought about shoes. she got the dress the week before. my prom was more along the lines of your super planned far in advance prom, so that was just nots to me.

purlygirly - i ADORE my diorshow. i know alot of people complain about it, but i swear by mine. it never flakes, smudges, or gets all over me. compared to benefits badgirl lash, it is a dream!

Lauren said...

i think prom is just not as formal today as it was and that is just sad. my cousin just went ( i got called in for hair, make-up, and accessory duty) and didn't even have shoes picked out until 2 hours before the dance when i brought her the perfect pair. its not even that she knew i had them, she just hadn't even thought about shoes. she got the dress the week before. my prom was more along the lines of your super planned far in advance prom, so that was just nots to me.

purlygirly - i ADORE my diorshow. i know alot of people complain about it, but i swear by mine. it never flakes, smudges, or gets all over me. compared to benefits badgirl lash, it is a dream!

Henna said...

Oh My Goodness! I LOVE the hair. Love it love it love it! I have longer hair and I'm always looking for newish ways to wear it down and the height on the crown really adds some pizzazz to it. Thanks for sharing these pictures!