Sunday, May 06, 2007

Mineral Makeup Comparison: Lumiere Cosmetics Loose Mineral Foundation

I brought my samples of Lumiere mineral makeup foundation to Florida with me, knowing that any product that could stand up to heat, humidity and sweat as I spent my days frolicking (okay, more like lounging) in the sun could handle anything. Incidentally, my best friend and vacation partner Jess had forgotten her makeup bag at home, so I had a co-tester to compare results with.

My problems with Everyday Minerals were mainly that the coverage wasn't heavy enough for my skin (which tends to get blotchy and break out occasionally) and that it didn't keep me from getting shiny within a few hours. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Lumiere's coverage and oil blocking ability was much stronger than it's predecessor.

The coverage isn't heavy by any means, but when paired with a few swipes of a good concealer, it covers blemishes, blotchiness and discoloration very well without appearing too heavy or powdery. Jess isn't much of a makeup girl, but even she loved how easy it was to get even coverage and that she never felt like she was wearing anything on her face.

I was especially impressed by Lumiere's lasting power. We were out in the heat and humidity essentially all day long, and my makeup looked no worse for wear by the time we went out for dinner. As an added bonus, my hyper-sensitive skin wasn't irritated as it often gets when I have makeup on all day and night.

Lumiere makes three different foundation formulas, Flawless (best for dry skin), Veena Velvet (best for oily skin) and Luminessence (works on all skin types). We used the Luminessence, which is basically a takeoff of Bare Escentuals' loose foundation, which gives a nice "glow" with medium coverage. If you prefer a more matte look or are very oily, I'd recommend trying the Veena Velvet, though I often wore the Luminessence over other oil-controlling products so I still had that nice glow.

They also have a wide selection of colors, from very pale to dark, organized by undertones (cool, neutral, beige, golden, warm), and it's easy to choose which colors would be closest to your own. If you're buying a foundation or concealer online for the first time, I definitely recommend buying the sample sizes in a few shades before you go for the full size, unless you've tested it in person. Like many other online mineral makeup companies, Lumiere has sample sizes and starter kits so you can try before you buy. I was extremely impressed by the helpfulness and professionalism of the customer service reps I spoke to, so if you've ever got a question about color, application or formulas, feel free to send them an e-mail or give them a call.

My favorite thing about Lumiere is that their products are very affordable, even cheaper than the drugstore mineral makeup brands. You can order in increments of 1/2 gram ($1.00), 2 grams ($4.00), 4 grams ($7.00), 6.5 grams ($10.00) and 12 grams ($16.00). I ordered the 2 gram jar and it's lasted me 12 uses, and the jar is still over 50% full.

Overall, I was very impressed by Lumiere, and would likely by refills of their foundation in the future. Due to it's recent popularity, mineral makeup has gotten quite expensive, especially department store brands like Jane Iredale and Bare Escentuals. Though it isn't a well known brand name or widely available in stores, I thought that the product quality was comparable to these better known brands, and you definitely can't beat the prices.

I know that a few of you are Lumiere fans (your recommendation is what encouraged me to try them in the first place), do you have any other observations to share about the brand, or recommendations for other products worth trying?

8 comments:

Emma said...

I'm slowly coming to the end of my pot of Everyday Minerals (which I love) and now you make me want to go and buy another brand...

Variety is the spice of life, I guess :)

Sandy said...

Hey, you mentioned that you use oil controlling products prior to using mineral makeup.... Can you specify which products those are? Thanks :

Meg said...

Hi Sandy,

I use Clinique's Pore Minimizer T-Zone Shine Control under my makeup and MAC's Blot Powder over foundation. I also keep Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets in my purse for when I get oily. All are fantastic products that are great for oil-prone skin.

-Meg

Jocelyn said...

Yay, glad the Lumiere worked well for you, Meg! I really like their foundation (Flawless Finish) but have to admit that I'm not crazy about their eyeshadows. Too much shimmer and not enough pigment.

Anonymous said...

Wowee, Lumiere makes mineral makeup now? I'm surprised at the price because that IS cheap. I will definitely try it out if I can get it here in Australia.

Glitterati said...

Hurray, so glad you liked the Lumiere! I agree w/ Jocelyn that their Eye Shimmers are very sparkly. I like them, but they're not my faves in the line. They have less shimmery kinds of shadow, but the colour selection isn't great. I would also give their concealer a pass -- the powder concealer isn't ideal for me, it's much easier (and more coverage) to just use a 'normal' concealer.

I LOVE their blushes though. They are seriously pretty, and a little jar lasts for so long. I'm hooked on the Veena Velvet: I switched to a tinted moisturizer for a couple of days and my skin started to freak out a bit, so I'm back on the Lumiere. I just got their kabuki brush too, and it's the softest, most non-shedding thing ever. It's so luxurious, and so darn CHEAP compared to all the other kabukis out there.

Yikes, I'm starting to sound like a sales rep for them! :)

cassey said...

You should review element5 mineral makeup. Very good coverage and texture. Does this product contain bismuth?

Fabu-less Beauty said...

I'm an Everyday Mineral user myself and found that it melts off my face at the end of the day. I'm considering getting Lumiere. I have acne-prone skin and would want coverage for it. Do you think it will? And have you tried their healing concealer?

Thanks!