Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mineral Makeup Comparison: Meow Cosmetics Foundation

Let me start off by saying that I was so turned off by Meow Cosmetics' cat theme that I went in expecting their products to suck. The cheesy feline-inspired names, the bad cat puns, cat eyes on the packaging...and they expect people to take them seriously?

But I learned my lesson about not judging a product by its package when I started testing out Meow's (I still shiver saying it) mineral foundations. By this point I've tried five different brands of mineral makeup, some of which I've loved, others which left a lot to be desired, but this was the only brand that exceeded my expectations (which were admittedly low to begin with) enough to compel me to buy the full-sized products.

But I'm getting ahead of myself...


I received free samples of Meow's Pampered Puss foundation a few weeks ago, in 6 different shades. Like a number of other online mineral makeup companies, Meow has a huge selection of shades, which are broken down by undertone. Each undertone (there are 12 for some reason) has a selection of seven shades, from very light to very dark. I had a hard time figuring out which undertone and shade best matched my complexion, and it took some time testing and comparing colors to finally find what worked. For this reason, I recommend ordering at least 3-4 sample shades ($1 each) before you buy.

But when I finally found the right shade/undertone, I was incredibly impressed by how good the product looked on my skin. The coverage of the Pampered Puss is medium to heavy, but unlike most other powder foundations with good coverage, it doesn't look cakey or powdery. Unless you apply it with a VERY heavy hand, no one will be able to tell you're wearing makeup at all. I also needed less concealer than usual, which was a plus.

As someone with oily skin, I've often complained that a lot of mineral foundations do a poor job of controlling shine. Of the brands I've tried, Meow did the best job of keeping me matte, though it was by no means perfect. When I decided to buy a full sized jar of the foundation, I went with their "Flawless Feline" formula, which is the heaviest and most mattifying. This stuff is the real deal- when I wear it I don't need to apply a layer of my beloved MAC Blot powder over it, and only occasionally use a mattifying lotion underneath. It's the best foundation I've ever used for oily skin.

Aside from the ridiculous cat theme, I only had one other complaint about Meow Cosmetics, and that's the lack of options when it comes to their foundation jars. Namely, there's only one option and it's about 1/4 CUP of product. Seriously, this thing is like a hockey puck. The three foundation formulas are priced $16.95 (Purr-fect Puss, least coverage), $23.95 (Pampered Puss, medium coverage) and $26.95 (Flawless Feline, heaviest coverage), all of which are reasonable for the obscene amount of product. Hopefully eventually Meow will start offering different sizes for those of us who don't want to commit to a lifetime supply of foundation.

For those of us with allergies to many of the ingredients in many mineral makeup brands (this is a problem for me as well), you'll be happy to know that none of Meow's foundations contain Bismuth oxychloride or silica (usually the culprits if you experience an allergic reaction to mineral makeup). Here are the ingredients in the 3 formulas:

Purr-fect Puss: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides
Pampered Puss: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Zinc Oxide, Iron Oxides
Flawless Feline: Mica, Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Boron Nitride, Iron Oxides

According to Cosmetics Cop Paula Begoun, none of these ingredients are known to irritate skin, and as someone with ultra-sensitive skin, I haven't had a problem with any of these formulas.

And that wraps it up for this year's Mineral Makeup Comparison! If you have any other recommendations for products I missed, leave a comment!

7 comments:

sparkler said...

I just ordered samples of Lumiere based on your review... how would you say this compares?

missy said...

I love Meow too. I was intimidated by the Huge selection of colors at first but had help on their forum with picking out the sample shades and I found a match! :) I use their Flawless formula and their eyeshadows are great too!

Anonymous said...

the only reason i went with aubrey nicole instead of meow was because i just could NOT figure out what colour was best for me. seriously overwhelming!

Anonymous said...

Wow, now I want to try Meow. I have Valerie beauty, J.Lynne, Everday Minerals, and Lumiere samples and I thought I was happy with what I have. But your skin sounds similar to mine so Meow sounds tempting.
My skin has gotten a lot better since I used certain cold pressed natural oils.
Another tip is to get a small ceramic bowl to put your make-up in. I like it and I think it's easier then using the lid. I use the kabuki brush Lumiere sells, it's a very soft brush.
Have you been to the "ineral Makeup Mania"and "arden of Wisdom" forums on delphi forums? They people there were halpful.

Anonymous said...

Meow is simply the best after trying alima , Bare Minerals , Monave, Philosophy,Yongblood etc. Meow has the best texture and colors that you have to find a match. I did I am occilot. It did take time and was confusing at first , but now that I found the match . It s great This goes on smooth asn silky , not cakey . Skin looks like you have flaweless skin without makeup.

doyousay said...

I stumbled upon your blog and was happy to read this review. I am hoping to try meow's mineral makeup sometime soon! Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

i, too, just happened to find your blog while researching mineral makeup. i found your postings very, very helpful. i was going to purchase some youngblood, even though the price hurt my tummy, but now i'm going to try meow first. thanks so much for sharing your experience. i've also bookmarked your blog, as you sound like my kind of girl...