Saturday, June 23, 2007

Saturday's Best of Blogs

Ron Rosenbaum of Slate wrote a very funny and spot-on piece about celebrity profiles in magazine, including the worst celebrity profile ever, Esquire's July piece on Angelina Jolie.

Fashionista has a fantastically useful guide on pronouncing the names of designers (Olivier Theyskens is Olivi-ay Tay-skins and Proenza Schouler is Pro-en-za Skoo-ler).

New York Times fashion critic Cathy Horyn interviews Sarah Jessica Parker in her On the Runway blog and then investigates the claims that SJP's Bitten line was produced unethically.

Galadarling has great advice for hand and nail care.

The Beauty Brains debunks the rumor going around that the average woman absorbs nearly 5 lbs of chemicals from her beauty products each year.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg - got a real brain twister for you here! I'm a finance executive living in the city, so of course I get invited to parties on the Upper East Side quite frequently. I've always thought it was appropriate to wear classy heels or some cute flats to these affairs, but now I've been confounded. My good friend, a well-known Park Avenue hostess - you'll meet her one day if you keep up the good work - swears to me that Crocs are going to be the next big thing. Yes, those hideous rubber clogs worn by provincial people in their little gardens! Of course she knows they're terribly ugly, but she claims it's going to be done sort of as a joke, an ironic statement if you will. What do you think about that! Is it ever really acceptable to commit such a fashion sin in the name of impressing others?

Emma said...

In a vague reply to the anonymous commenter previous to me, I can't believe how these 'crocs' have suddenly exploded onto the scene!

I've just come back from uni (in a rainy, cold area of the UK that definitely don't wear anything even remotely resembling summery shoes for fear of hypothermia) and everyone in my hometown seem to have been caught up in this craze! Where have they come from!? What are their purpose!? Why would you wear them?!

Anne said...

Ha, yes, I went to an outdoor concert Friday night and there was quite the extensive cross-section of unshaven hippie gentlemen sporting their Crocs. Stick with the cute flats etc. Just because somebody told you they're trendy does NOT mean you have to believe them. And your feet won't get all sweaty.

Meg said...

Anon- I'm with you on this one. I think Crocs are atrocious, and while they're inappropriate for anything but gardening, it's a fashion sin to wear such a thing to a classy party. I don't understand your friend's argument either- last time I checked, Crocs were not especially popular with the ladies who lunch. Irony or not, it's a bad look. Hopefully your fabulous fashion sense will rub off on her and she'll see the error of her ways!