Wednesday, August 15, 2007

RSS Feeds, You, and a $25 Gift Card!

Hi everyone! As I pass my 300th post and 1500 visitors per day (it seems like only yesterday that I considered 10 visitors besides my parents and boyfriend a good traffic day), I've started noticing something new about my blog, and about blogs in general. More and more of my readers (now more than 300) are using RSS ("Really Simple Syndication") to read FGB, and I think it's a great development. I've started using RSS to keep up with my favorite sites, and I've found it's an amazing way to follow a lot of blogs, and most importantly, to make sure that I don't miss any posts. Anyway, I know a lot of people still don't use RSS, so I thought I might try to explain it, and why I think it's really useful.

What's RSS?

RSS is a technology that lets blogs publish their posts directly to readers. So, instead of having to go back to a blog to see if it's updated, the user can see a list of the new posts on their favorite blogs by using a "feed reader". My favorite is Google Reader, because it's really easy to use, and I can log into it anywhere to catch up with my favorite blogs.

When you start using a feed reader like Google Reader, you can make a list of your favorite blogs, and whenever the blog is updated, you'll see the new post on your Google Reader page. Instead of having to check my 10 favorite blogs every few hours (which was frustrating and time-consuming), I'm able to follow about 120 blogs and read them at my leisure by checking my feed reader.

Anyway, I really encourage you to try RSS out and subscribe to the Faking Good Breeding RSS feed. For some added incentive, starting tomorrow through this next week I'm going to put a special question in my RSS feed (and it won't be visible on the site), and everyone who responds to the question will be entered into a drawing for a $25 Sephora Gift Card. I'll announce and notify the winner by Wednesday, August 22nd.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Ha! I'm just reading your post now... via Google Reader! (In my Google desktop, of course.)

:)

Anonymous said...

thank you! i have always wondered what RSS is!
--Smithie

Erika said...

Thanks for explanation!

Anonymous said...

Livejournal users can also friend fakinggoodbreed to read your blog on their livejournal friends pages:

http://fakinggoodbreed.livejournal.com

Teresa said...

Oh that rocks! I just set up my google reader account so thanks for the info. Thank God for fashion blogs....what would I do all day at work without them?? lol

Meg said...

I love RSS :) I've been using NetVibes.

Congrats on all the visitors! I just passed 2000 unique visitors - but that's since May 15th when I started my blog. I'd love to see that many people in a single day :) I have some stuff planned that might help, though.