Sunday, September 16, 2007

2007 Emmy Awards Best and Worst Dressed List

Since I began this blog, I've watched every major awards show (even the Golden Globes!) in order to fully assess the fashions for my post-show best and worst dressed list. Regardless of the fact that photos of each star are posted online within minutes of their arrivals, I felt it was important that I watch the entire show to get a better idea of how everyone looked, which is really the whole point of it all. Does anyone even care who wins the awards anymore?

This year, I threw in the towel. I didn't watch. And chances are, you didn't either (only 16 million tuned in last year). Ryan Seacrest as host? Performances consisting of "a song and dance tribute to this year in TV" and a Christina Aguilera/Tony Bennett duet? Sorry, but even I have better things to do with my time. Like watch a marathon of "Friday Night Lights" on NBC.com. It's one of the best new shows of the past few years, yet was totally ignored by the Emmy voters and likely to be canceled soon. And don't even get me started on Emmy's treatment of "The Wire," which is probably the greatest and most ambitious television show EVER, but doesn't seem to hold as much sway over Emmy voters as masterpieces like "Two and a Half Men." After four unbelievable seasons, it's still waiting for a nomination.

But enough griping. Awards shmawards, let's talk about the clothes!

On my best dressed list...

The last few years, Heidi Klum has been pregnant for every major awards show, and if she thought that we forgot how hot she is without a bulging belly, she's certainly succeeded in reminding us that even post-baby, she looks better than ever. The deep ruby is a perfect fall color that looks beautiful against her skin, her hair and makeup are effortlessly pretty and that dress...is...amazing.

Minnie Driver's gown is the perfect marriage of cut and color, and it flatters her body, skin and hair beautifully. Yellow (especially goldenrod) is not an easy color to pull off, but she does it well. Also, a lot of women seemed overdressed or poorly dressed for the show (The Emmy's aren't as formal as the Oscars) but Minnie hits it on the head by dressing formal but not at all stuffy.

I think big awards shows can be difficult for young actresses, as balancing formal attire and a desire to look youthful and sexy can be difficult, but Kristen Bell really shows how it's done. Her full length turquoise and purple gown was flowy and flattering, while a strapless top kept it young and sexy without showing too much skin. I liked that she kept things simple with minimal jewelry and upswept hair, it kept her from looking older than her years. I don't know how high Kristen's heels are under that skirt, but I gotta give the designer credit for making this 5'1 starlet look about 8 inches taller.

I've said some mean things about Ellen Pompeo's awards show outfits in the past, but she's really redeemed herself in my eyes this time. First, let's talk about the hair (click here for a close-up). This is not a style you normally see on the red carpet (or anywhere else for that matter) and she took a big risk for trying it, but I think it looks really fresh and modern. The belted dress is a nice nod to the fall trends and her gold tassel necklace is really interesting, but I'm still stuck on the hair, which elevates a pretty but boring dress to "wow" levels.

Speaking of hot haircuts, Mariska Hargitay is rocking the Posh (close-up here) and has a fabulous, super flattering gown to boot. I was surprised to see a lot of women wearing black this year, but unlike most of them, Mariska's dress wasn't overly heavy for September or drowning in details (I'm looking at you, Kyra Sedgwick!).

I know I'm going to get some flack for this one, but I think Vanessa Williams looked gorgeous in this feathered seafoam green gown. The skinny yellow belt at the empire waist, the pulled back hair and that subtle but unbelievably pretty shade of green all kept the feathers from overwhelming the dress and the wearer as most similar dresses tend to do. I don't know that every woman could pull it off, but Vanessa has the confidence, grace and regal stature to wear the dress, instead of allowing the dress to wear her.

Honorable mentions also go to Mary Louise Parker, Portia de Rossi, Rashida Jones, Teri Hatcher, and Felicity Huffman.

And now the worst...

If you read the celeb weeklies or blogs, you know that Hayden Panettiere has been on a mission to get photographed at every possible moment, dressing up for Starbucks runs, showing up at every party, screening and premiere and upgrading her wardrobe from that of a high school cutie to globe trotting fashionista. Yet, despite the best efforts of Hayden and her overworked publicist, people don't really know her (I had to check the spelling of her last name twice). So my only explanation for this dress is that she's trying her hardest to get noticed, and frankly, she succeeded. My only hope is that this dress can one day reach it's full potential as the curtains it was created to be, though it's hard to guess who would want to own anything in that hideous shade of peach.

Jaime Pressly's gown suffers from a number of ailments, including but not limited to reptilian fabric, a strange floral pattern, unnecessary sleeves and one of the strangest examples of drapery that I've ever seen. My guess is that she's trying to hide a post-baby belly, but the result is far worse. I actually have no idea what's going on with the top part of that dress, but there's no question that it's ugly.


Rebecca Romijn is one of the hottest women in Hollywood (just check out her recent campaign for Bebe, or her performance in Ugly Betty). Yet she looks downright matronly with this cotton candy pink flapper gown, which washes out her skin and hair and does nothing to highlight her fantastic body. I think a lot of stars who are defined by their sexiness have a hard time moving away from overtly sexy outfits and go too far in the opposite direction, and Rebecca's a prime example of this. Her makeup and hair certainly don't help matters, adding about 15 years to her face.

Julia Louis-Dreyfuss needs to run, not walk, back into the arms of Narciso Rodriguez, the designer who has outfitted her in numerous lovely, figure-flattering gowns over the years. Julia has a great body, but this dress emphasizes all the wrong areas, leaving her looking frumpy, lumpy and short.

Jenna Fischer does not look happy here, and I can't blame her. Her dress looks like first semester fashion student's interpretation of "autumn." The voluminous dress and giant bow overwhelm Jenna's frame and hide every curve of her body, while the pukey color and gold brocade are depressing to look at. I predict the weeklies will be calling "baby bump" on this one, which is, sadly, the last thing you want to hear when you're not pregnant and nominated for your first Emmy.

(Dis-)Honorable mentions go to Kate Walsh, Debra Messing, Christina Aguilera, Kyra Sedgwick, Lorraine Bracco and Ali Larter.

Who were your favorites? Least favorites?

8 comments:

H said...

I thought Helen Mirren looked amazing, as usual. I hope when I am her age I look half as good.

Kelly Mahoney said...

I like Hayden, I think she's adorable but this was a horrible choice. If she has so many people working for her, why didn't someone stop her?

tmp00 said...

that was Rebecca Romijn? I looked at the picture and thought "Dina Merrill is looking pretty good these days!"

Princess Poochie said...

We had some very similar picks. I too like Helen Mirren and I liked America's dress and color as well - shoedaydreams.blogspot.com

Luv
Poochie
shoedaydreams.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Julia Louis Dreyfuss was wearing Narciso Rodriguez .....

Anonymous said...

I actually really liked Christina Aguilera's dress; I thought she looked great. Ellen Pompeo's dress was nice, but I think her hair was atrocious. And who the hell did her makeup? Hopefully they got fired, because she looked washed-out and tired.

christine said...

Sorry, not trying to leave you flack but I honestly think that feathers should remain on birds and not on clothes. I still give Vanessa props for trying to look different

christine said...

oh and thanks for your reply! I'll look up Mederma, but hopefully my dermatologist can find out something for me before I go back to school