Friday, September 14, 2007

Fall Trends: Grays

Gray is huge for fall and I couldn't be happier. It's a versatile neutral, looks good with every color, and pairs beautifully with fall's heavier fabrics like tweed, flannel and wool. I like combining different shades of gray within the same outfit, and "the more gray, the better" is my philosophy. And unlike a lot of other color trends (I'm looking at you, neon), you can be almost certain that this one will never go out of style.

Here are a few of my favorite gray pieces, all for under $100:


Banana Republic Funnel-Neck Top, $44


Old Navy Women's Suede Keyhole Flats, $19.50


Gap Military Mini Skirt, $78


American Eagle Vintage Cardigan, $49.50


Sparkle and Fade Sold Sweaterknit Tights, from Urban Outfitters, $18

Jessica Simpson Barke Pump, from Nordstrom, $88.95

Forever 21 Gathered Sleeve Cardigan, $17.80

Isaac Mizrahi for Target Merino Turtleneck Dress, $44.99

8 comments:

C~ said...

I love grey. Especially for Autumn. Topshop have an identical version of that forever21 cardigan. Is forever21 the american equivalent to England's topshop?

Meg said...

c~,

I think Forever 21 is about equivalent to a TopShop, though I've never been in one myself. They're both stores aimed at young women who want trendy clothes for a small amount of money, and the quality tends to suffer in the process. I've heard rumors over the last year that TopShop might be coming to NYC and my fingers are crossed that that'll be the case!

Diana said...

Meg, I think TopShop is already in NYC, on Howard St.

c~, I agree. Gray is wonderful for autumn. And forever21 is very similar to TopShop stylistically, but I find that TopShop is a lot more expensive.

Lisa said...

If only I looked good in grey! It's a beautiful color, but I've got reddish hair and it washes me out. Dark espresso brown is much better for me. Can you do a "brown" find?

Anne said...

Lisa, have you tried different shades of gray? I have good luck with dark, charcoal-y grays but look ill in light heather grays. There may still be a gray for you!

G.G. said...

Excellent picks. You have great taste :)

Fabulously Broke in the City said...

That funnel neck top from BR is tres cute.

I tried it on in the store, a GREAT autumn piece that'll keep you warm and look great. My only thing is I'm not sure the sleeves do it for me... I loved it in the burnt orange better than the grey however :)

Girlfriend said...

My Fall grey purchase is going to be a classic cashmere sweater & fabulous scarf.