Thursday, September 13, 2007

Product Review: Trish McEvoy Protective Shield Concealer

If I've learned anything in my many years of shopping for beauty products, it's to research before you buy. How many hundreds of dollars I could have saved if I didn't cave into buying products the starry-eyed sales associates promised would change my life... now I never go into a Sephora, department store or hair salon without a list of products that come highly recommended on Makeup Alley and my favorite and most trusted beauty blogs.

A few weeks ago I realized that I really needed a new concealer, and began to do my research. The two concealers I've had for years are woefully insufficient and often cause more problems than they correct. I first bought Clinique Line Smoothing Concealer in early high school, and have repurchased for the same reason that I believe most women using Maybelline's god awful Great Lash mascara repurchase- we believe the first product we've tried is the best we'll get. And with nothing to compare it to, it was. Yet the coverage was far too light for my under-eye circles, breakouts and red patches induced by late night study sessions, stress and allergies, respectively. I'm pretty certain the non-hygienic wand applicator was spreading bacteria all over my face and the pink undertones clashed with my yellow undertoned skin.

Last year I bought MAC Studio Finish Concealer SPF 15, because I was impressed by the fairly heavy coverage, the SPF rating of 35 and the fact that it matched my skin just about perfectly. Sadly, I soon found that it dried out my skin and emphasized my drier areas, cracking and caking and making me look far older than my 21 years. No amount of moisturizer underneath would keep it from caking within a few hours of application, drawing attention to all the flaws I sought to conceal.

So I was in the market for a concealer that wouldn't dry my skin, but was also oil-free and wouldn't exacerbate breakouts. It needed to have yellow undertones and conceal under-eye circles as well as redness and pesky breakouts. It had to last all day and not melt or smear. A little high maintenance, you may say? If I'm going to be spending between $15-$25 on a product, it better be amazing.

According to Makeup Alley, Bobbi Brown's Corrector was the product I was looking for, matching all of my requirements. On a trip to my local Nordstrom, I approached the sales associate nearest to the Bobbi counter, described my concealer conundrum and asked to try it. "Are you sure about that? I don't think it's the right product for you." she replied. "Uh, well I've heard a lot of good things about it..." I said. She went on to tell me that the corrector, unlike almost all of Bobbi's other skin products, is pink, not yellow toned, and that she's heard a lot of people complain about cakeyness from it. She picked up a brush and applied a bit of product to my hand, in a few different shades. None of them matched.

At this point I was kicking myself for not writing down a list of products to try as backups, but she asked me if I'd consider another line, or if I was absolutely stuck on Bobbi. "Have you tried Trish McEvoy's products? I find that my 20-something customers adore her line." she asked. I hadn't, and she went to find a few concealers for me to try. She returned with a tin of the Trish McEvoy 'Protective Shield' Concealer and began applying it to my face with a brush. When she was finished, I checked myself out in the mirror and was floored. Everything was so... concealed! And the shade matched my skin perfectly.


I, of course, was skeptical about whether it would cake as the day went on, or dry me out, but she assured me otherwise. With Nordstrom's generous return policy, she told me that if I wasn't happy with the product for any reason, I can return it (even without a receipt) to any Nordstrom store and get a full refund. That sold me.

We began discussing application tips (as I've said many times before, my makeup application skills are seriously lacking). I told her about my concern for spreading germs and bacteria with my makeup, and said that I've always applied my concealer with my fingers. She pointed out that, unless I was my hands every time (I don't), I'm going to be spreading some germs. Additionally, some of the cakeyness problems I've been experiencing could be caused from applying too much product, and a basic concealer brush would fix the problem. Thinking of the return policy, I caved on the cheapest concealer brush on the floor- MAC's 242.

Much to my surprise, the Trish concealer (with brush) has totally exceeded my expectations in terms of performance (looks totally natural, lasts all day) and ease of application (the brush makes it a breeze). I set it with my mineral foundation and a quick swipe of MAC Blot Powder and I haven't experienced any cakeyness or dryness in the weeks I've used it.

What's your favorite concealer? Least favorite?

13 comments:

Susan said...

I have bad associations with concealer, after watching a lot of my high school friends cake it on and just look bumpier and bumpier by the day... I've got a green-tinted powder from Everyday Minerals to color-correct when I'm a little blotchy, but otherwise I try to treat the sources rather than just covering them up. (Treating the acne and getting enough sleep does wonders.) I go for light coverage on everything I wear because I think too many girls in our age bracket wear far too much, and I think I look far better this way in comparison!

Anonymous said...

I must have exactly the same kind of skin as you!! and I have been exactly where you were with the Clinique line smoothing (and Great Lash Mascara) too!! Heehee...

The Linesmoothing concealer was totally the wrong shade, wouldn't cover anything and slipped right off...

I have since read Laura Mercier's 'The new beauty secrets' and got the heads up about concealer brushes - - they make the little bit that I wear flawless! I have bought and quite happy with the Napoleon 3tone conceler where you have to mix a bit (quite easy actually) to get the right shade and really well priced. We don't have Tracy whatever her name is here in Australia.

Thanks for another great blog -

beth said...

I've never been convinced that one concealer could do blemishes AND dark circles, the needs of those two areas are so different, don't you think? I like Clinique All about eyes but only for eyes obviously, and it does tend to slide off as the day wears on. I have recently been using Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place concealer SPF 10 and it DOES stay in place, for sure. Maybe a teensy bit drier for undereyes than i'd like, but it's way better on blemishes than the clinique. I also don't like the mixing colors type concealers, i just don't think i have the talent for it, so i tend to avoid them.

Fabulously Broke in the City said...

Am very willing to try Trish McEvoy now... that, or Paula Begoun? I've heard her stuff is good but I can't try it before I buy it :|... But she does offer samples.

I tend to try and lay off concealer but I have naturally dark bags... (darn hereditary..) anyway, I used Makeup Forever, but it doesn't really do the trick unfortunately.

Anonymous said...

I know that not everyone can get over the sticker shock (there are a lot of other things to do with $68), but Cle de Peau's concealer is the holy grail of concealers. I could never afford it myself, but my mom gave me one of hers when it was almost out (there was about 1/2 inch of product left in the tube) and i swear to you it lasted me through 6 months of undereye and blemish application (and i have very dark circles and splotchy skin, and I wear it every day). I put it on with a little brush, and it works wonders! Based on how long it lasts (we're talking years here girls--even though standard makeup rules would probably say you should have thrown it out by then), so I totally think it's worth every penny!

IxLovexMAC said...

My favorite concealers are MAC's Studio Finish Concealer, Benefit Boing, and MAC Moistureblend, The three of these combined are pure heaven, I'm 20 years old, and due to constant college stress, and numerous sleepless nights, over the years I have accumulated scars and undereye circles, these three make my skin flawless and beautiful

Rae said...

Fantastic post! I'm looking for a new concealer as well. I'm currently using True Match... it was cheap, but it covered up my under-the-nose redness really well, and blended perfectly. However, it's just not doing the trick with my under eye circles. I will definitely look into this "Trish McEvoy" line!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips I'll check out her line- I find I have to alternate my concealer completely from summer to winter- with sune and then no sun, living in good-ol' Cali does have it's down-sides....
P.S. Meg- I haven't looked into it too much yet but I was wondering if you had any tips on curlers-the hot roller kind you leave in for a while/ hair gel/mousse-whatever for making hair do what I want without greasiness or weight??-Any ideas?

Raven said...

After an increasingly desperate Sephora visit to find a concealer to replace my Stila (slightly too pink and not moisturizing enough for me to go back to, but I'm sure pretty great for some people), a saleswoman gave me Oh La Lift from Benefit.

I think the ultra-light, transparent, light-reflecting formula won me over because it was so different than the matte face paints I'd been smearing on for half an hour. It's a pinkish liquid that you could apply repeatedly throughout the day with no heaviness, it gives a little brightness to the eyes and would probably de-puff bags a bit (not my problem).

When I put it on the next morning, I realized it was completely useless for me -- my grey circles just had a slight sheen! What a waste. I'll avoid the salespeople next time and try the Trish McEvoy.

judyo423 said...

Sorry Meg but after a disastrous purchase of Revlon's new 3-D mascara I have happily returned to my Great Lash.

I have rosacea so I definitely need something extra to even out my skin tone. As to concealers I am currently using Benefits Playstick and it seems to work. Though recently I switched foundations to Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser and now apply my concealer first. I'm open to new choices though.

LeaH said...

I, too, used both Clinique and MAC concealers until I realized they did nothing for me. Over the last couple of years though, I've been pretty satisfied with the current products for my sensitive, freckled (cheeks & nose), rosacea around the nose, shiny t-zone, Asian skin -- Lancome's Photôgenic
Skin-Illuminating Concealer (SPF 15) and Physician's Formula Solar Powder (SPF 20) Face Powder. Even my really cheap -hey, it works for me- Wet n Wild Clear Skin Oil-Free Moisturizer has sunscreen (SPF 15) not only because I live in South Florida, but also, annoyingly enough, because my cheeks and nose will just freckle instead of tan like the rest of my body. Arg. As mentioned earlier, my t-zone usually gets oily after a while depending on what I'm doing, after all it is hot and humid here, but a sheet from a pack of Mary Kay Beauty Blotters takes care of it easily. I'm happy enough with the Lancome concealer, it's light and covers well. If anything, I might change out my powder for a mineral one (with sunscreen). Hmmm. I guess I should look over your reviews on the mineral makeup! Thanks for the interesting blog. First-time poster (and I hardly ever post anywhere)

RachelH said...

I've tried a million and one concealers over the years - my skin is prone to breakouts and splotches - and I have to say the one I've had the best luck with is Cargo's OneBase. It's a tube w/ brush applicator, so it doesn't get around the bacteria problem you mentioned, but the formula is smooth without being greasy, thin without sacrificing coverage, and the tone is neither too yellow or too pink (my skin is right in the middle of most lines' colors).

I'm going to need to switch soon because of summer ending, but I'm hoping to be able to stay with their line. I guess we'll see...

sesame said...

Hi. I just like to let you know that excerpts of your blog entry was used here:
http://cosmeticstest.com/?p=70
if you're aren't already aware.

Even though a link was provided to your blog entry, I wonder if you like to be associated with a spammy site that does nothing but syndicate our entries just to pump up the content and use them to earn revenue from google adsense.

They have violated my copyright and I'm taking action. I leave you to decide what you'll like to do with yours. You may also like to verify if more than one copy of your post was used.