Friday, October 05, 2007

Friday Finds: Fall Skirts

My favorite way to wear heavier, more traditionally masculine fabrics like tweed, denim, herringbone and wool is in feminine, form-fitting skirts. There's nothing that feels more "fall" to me than wearing a tweed or wool mini with opaque tights and flats or flat boots, while pencil skirts in heavy fabrics are great for dressing up or down, going out or going to work.

Since these fabrics make a strong statement on their own, I think it's best to avoid pairing them with tops or accessories of the same fabric (don't wear a wool sweater over a wool skirt, for instance) but mixing and matching is never a bad idea. And to ensure that you'll get the most bang for your buck, invest in a pair of thick tights (these are my favorite) so that you can get through all but the coldest days. Here are a few of my picks for fall skirts:


Lux Highwaisted Tweed Pencil Skirt, from Urban Outfitters, $58


Banana Republic Oxford Mini-Skirt, $68


Gap Dark Indigo Denim Mini Skirt, $44.50


J. Crew Felted-Wool Patch-Pocket Mini, $88


Tweed Mini Skirt, from Forever 21, $22


Style & Co. Denim Pencil Skirt, from Macy's, $30


Victoria's Secret Pleated Skirt, $49.50

6 comments:

Alexandra said...

I so know what you mean about thingth and a tweed feminine skirt just screaming "fall". I never wear skirts ( too fussy for my lifestyle) yet every fall I find myself in love with a tweed skirt and buy it and, of course, never wear it. Yet, every fall, they hold do much promise...The ones you picked out are perfect!...and tempting me

lisa said...

Nice picks, Meg! And I definitely agree about the tights. However, the denim skirt you chose is probably too short for my taste; I like knee-length skirts when the weather gets cold.

Jo said...

I love the VS skirt-totally adorable and something I'd definitely wear.

We don't get extreme winters here in the South but our autumns are biting after our rainless, scorching summers!

Meg said...

Love your picks Meg! I especially like the mini skirts. Right now, I'm having problems finding great skirts that aren't too long on me; I'm 5'10 and if I shop in the petite section I can sometimes find skirts that come to right above the knee.

Meg said...

I especially love that burgundy skirt :) With so many skirts in neutrals out there, I get really excited when I find one in a fabulous color.

WendyB said...

The VS skirt looks so cute but I find with VS that they seem to spend all their money on beautiful photography and very little on making the clothes nice. Once in a while I luck out with them.