Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Product Review: Olay Total Effects Night Firming Cream

Do you ever find yourself staring at your cupboard in the beauty equivalent of "a full closet and nothing to wear" moment? This was me last week, as a dramatic shift in weather left my skin parched for moisture. As I examined my dry, flaking skin in the mirror, I racked my brain for a suitable moisturizer.

I'd been using Olay Total Effects Moisturizing Vitamin Complex, as always, which helped but didn't fully fix the problem, and I decided my Anthelios would probably break me out if I left it on overnight (not to mention that it's too irritating to apply to my eyes, the dryest part of my face). I'd run out of the heavy duty prescription creams my doctor had prescribed for me last winter during another dry spell and the rest of my shelf is filled with acne products (combination skin, so much fun).

Digging through my "junk drawer" of old or rarely used beauty products, I came across a travel size package of Olay Total Effects Night Firming Cream, a free sample that came with my last Olay purchase. It was clearly an anti-aging product, intended for night use, but with few other options, I decided to give it a try.


It only took a few drops to cover my eyes and the various dry spots around my face and the product sunk in quickly, leaving my skin primed for makeup. It's very moisturizing but feels light on the skin and I haven't noticed any additional breakouts or oily production since I began using it (my skin tends to react very well to all Olay products though). Also, it does have a scent, but after application, it's no longer noticeable.

I don't really believe that there's any difference between a night cream and a day cream (aside from the fact that no night creams have sunscreen) and I've been using this twice daily to keep the skin around my eyes from drying out under makeup and as protection from the wind and brisk air. Due to the lack of sunscreen, I've been applying it over the Moisturizing Vitamin Complex, which has SPF, so I can get the benefits of sun protection and deep moisturization at once. I'm only 21 and have yet to experience skin aging, so I can't really speak to how effective the product is as an anti-aging treatment, though reviews on Makeup Alley are quite positive in that area.

Because so little product is necessary for each application, the travel size package looks like it will last me a long time (at least 2-3 months), and I will consider buying the full size when I'm finished. One issue I have with the packaging is that it's not very hygenic in tub form, and it's a good idea to make sure your hands are clean before applying, or apply the moisturizer with a q-tip. I'll have to see how the Firming Cream holds up to dryer, colder weather than this, but for now, I'm very happy with its performance.

What's your favorite dry skin cream?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I moved to london recently from ny - was using la mer in nyc - fantastic but such a costly habit! And i found that nothing kept my skin moist - i tried a variety of products and ended up using - and swear by it - E 45 cream from boots - which is similar to cetaphil and i mix it with jojoba oil. Jojoba is the closest to skin's natural moisturizer in the world bar whale oil - and i have no more breakouts and my skin is fabulous and moist all day long. I also have since started to clean my skin using olive oil rather than soap and this has helped alot. it sounds sooo wrong but it works really well.

laura said...

I need an eye cream but find that I get those little white head bumps with most products I try... let us know if this one does that to you. (The little white bumps that don't turn red and pus-y like a pimple, they just sit there, white bump under the skin, and annoy me!) Also-- I use Differin at night, so I need an eye cream without acids because if I overlap the two products I get burned skin!

Anonymous said...

Dry skin, it is the monkey on my back. I feel like I've tried everything out there. Right now I'm using Kiehl's Creme de la Repairateur (or something like that), which I like, but it's especially good when paired with Clinique's Supermoisture foundation on top. And I have to disagree about the night cream. I absolutely advocate using a special night cream. They usually have higher doses of active ingredients, especially if we're talking moisture. This may result in a shinier face at night, but usually not that problematic. Also, using sunscreen when you don't need it (i.e. when the sun is down and you're indoors) can be irritating.

jeni said...

My favorite moisturizer for my dry skin is Clinique Moisture On-line. It works better than any moisturizer I've tried, and it really locks in the moisture in my skin. I love it! The other product I really like is Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Hydrating Treatment Mask. It's pretty affordable, and even though it's a mask, you can use it as a moisturizer. I live in Vegas, so my skin is parched year-round!

tina said...

I've had a lot of luck with La Prairie products. They're a little pricey but I get some products for free b/c a friend of mine works for them. The cellular night cream is great, very thick and creamy but at the same time, not greasy. I have oily acne prone skin, and it has never broken me out. they also have a cellular day cream, which is a little bit lighter than the night cream but still works great. recently, i've been using philosophy's original hope in a jar. i like this b/c it's light and absorbs very quickly, so it feels like you have nothing on. i can even use it around my eyes w/o it causing any irritation, although i don't think it will be moisturizing enough for what you described.

Cate said...

i use eucerin for sensitive skin on my face at night. you definitely get the "grease face" look going on, but it's completely unscented and amazingly moisturizing. i have extremely sensitive and dry skin, and this stuff works perfectly. it's about $15 for a large bottle, and it works wonders on your whole body.

Melanie said...

I'm a Burt's Bees girl, after years of trying to dry out my combination skin. I wash my face with the orange oil cleanser (like the girl who uses olive oil, but pre-prepared), and when the heat and humidity are up, I spritz with their grapefruit complexion mist. That's it. And when it starts getting dry out, I supplement that with the carrot day creme (which I use day and night, and add my own sunscreen during the day). If I get some really dry patches, I will supplement that with jojoba oil (which I have used in the past to great effect). My skin was apparently breaking out and developing oil slicks because it lacked moisture...but since I started using oils to cleanse/moisturize, it's been much less oily in the oily spots, and much less dry in the dry spots. Big fan of natural products.

Anonymous said...

To help with dryness on my eyelids and around my eyes, I've used Neutrogena's Radiance Boost Eye Cream. After trying a few others, I found this to be the most effective without being greasy or causing me to break out. With my combination (yet also extremely dry) skin, I use a variety of lotions, depending on the season.

RachelH said...

So this is more of a general question, but it's on the same topic:

I have mostly oily, acne prone skin (whiteheads are the bane of my existence). I live in Chicago, so it's starting to get dry and cold(ish). I'm always nervous to use heavy moisturizers, but I also know that letting my skin dry out won't help things. It seems like there are some pretty good recommendations here, but does anyone have any specific suggestions for day/night moisture type? I have a good eye cream, but that's about it...

kamo said...

I have combination skin too, but I usually don't need a heavy moisturizer unless I'm home and not at school (the desert vs coastal California). When I'm home and need something super moisturizing but gentle, I love korres. I have their yogurt cream and rose cream - both I highly recommend, but its the rose cream that's best on super dry skin. It has made me break out a bit before, but only when I used it on oily skin.it only has spf 6 so you might want to use a sun block too for day.

For my eyes (my eyes are always dry) I really like keihls cream de abissyne. It has spf and just feels lovely.

Kelly Mahoney said...

I use Olay's total moisturizer during the day with the SPF 30. You can't start preventing aging too early.

catherine said...

My mom uses that stuff, and when my skin gets really dry I steal some as well. It's heavenly! And the full size comes with a little stick/spoon thing to counteract the unhygienic nature of a tub.

Dei said...

I've taken a cue from some 60+ year old women with the most amazing skin ever - Vaseline. They have a creamy formula with Vitamin E that is a great night cream that isn't as greasy as the original formula.

Anonymous said...

The best products, hands down, are from Dr.Hauschka. It doesn't have all the chemicals or preservatives that the others do, and it works AMAZINGLY well. I have used Dr.Hauschka when i had super-dry and freakishly oily/breakout skin, and it solved both problems. Try one of the mini-kits, you will love what it does for your skin!

Kathryn said...

I have just switched to Boots No. 7 24 hour moisture and it is fabulous - flakes all gone and I have ot broken out

Anonymous said...

Try Olay's Regenerist night cream! it makes my skin so soft, but somehow leaves my face matte, even though I have combo skin and used to wake up looking like an oil slick. The Regenerist lip care really works too..I'm in my late 30's and it's the only thing that is helping me keep those lip lines from getting worse! Huge fan of the entire Regenerist line. The day lotion has spf.