Friday, October 19, 2007

Reader Question: Flat and Low-Heel Boots

Dear Meg,

As a tall girl who does a lot of walking, I'm on the lookout for a pair of boots with a low or flat heel, in a classic style that won't go out of style anytime soon. I've seen a lot of cute boots in stores this season, but unfortunately, they're all very expensive. I'd love it if you could help me find a pair for less than $200 (preferably under $150 if possible). Got any suggestions?

-Aimee

Hey Aimee! You're in luck, because there are lots of great, reasonably priced boots available right now. I found a lot of great pairs on the Nordstrom BP site, at Zappo's and at Piper Lime (surprisingly, because I normally find their shoes to be very expensive). There's no question that boots as a whole are pricier than other shoe styles, but think of your purchase as an investment. If you go for a classic style, like an equestrian boot, and keep the styling simple and the height knee-high, it should last you many more seasons.

Of course, that requires a little TLC on your part. Keep them clean and polish the leather every few months (follow the directions that come with the shoe, or check the company's website for instructions). When the soles get worn down, take them into a cobbler for replacements. If you show your boots a little love, they'll stay looking beautiful for years.

Here are a few of my favorite flat and low-heel boots:

Etienne Aiger "Cailyn" Boot, from Piper Lime, $169

Steve Madden Riding Boot, from Nordstrom, $138.95

Mia "Johnny" Boot, from Piper Lime, $130

Jessica Simpson 'Bodey' Leather Boot, from Nordstrom, $178.95

Etienne Aiger "Jona" Boot, from Piper Lime, $159

rsvp "Bannon" Boot, from Zappo's, $129.95

Bandolino "Jordana" Boot, from Piper Lime, $145

8 comments:

Abbey said...

I got these gorgeous brown suede Timberland boots recently, and I love them. I live in a pretty cold climate (-40 C in the winter!), and they're super warm and they're waterproof as well. The Smartwool lining isn't super thick (I thought it would be much bulkier), but it's surprisingly warm.

Abbey said...

Oh, and Timberland gets bonus points for me for including the suede cleaning kit in with the boots.

MizzJ said...

Omg I have to have those Jordana boots! Boots that are named after yourself are definitely a necessity :D

Christina and Emily said...

I have the Steve Madden riding boots! I adore them, they are fabulous. They make your legs look way long, and the leather is gorge.
-Emily

Meg said...

I'm very partial to these beige boots by Cole Haan. They're discounted to just $165 (from $275). Unfortunately, the size selection is quickly dwindling.

http://fashion.thebargainqueen.com/2007/10/cole-haan-air-brogan-boots-us165/

Katie said...

that's funny, i was just looking around last night for flat boots (and saw a lot of those you posted). unfortunately i am head-over-heels in love with a pair of michael kors... and they're $400 :( i'll either stalk them til they're 50% off or cave and buy a cheaper pair..

Kelly Mahoney said...

Looks adorable. I usually wear wedge-style boots because I'm shorter and I feel like I get better traction without wearing ugly golashes.

nadarine said...

I got a pair of Born boots (I don't have the style name, unfortunately) at DSW, and they have the greatest arch support in the world. Plus, I got them at DSW, so they were less than $100. AND, DSW's fall boot sale just started, so just another excuse to go!