Friday, November 30, 2007

Friday Finds: Weather Appropriate Going-Out Shoes

Dear Meg,

I'm a college girl in Indiana, and with winter fast approaching, I'm on the lookout for a pair of cute "going out" shoes. I already have a pair of brown leather boots, which are great for really wet or snowy days, but I'd really like something more fun and dressy, without being totally inappropriate for the weather. Any suggestions?

Best,


Alyse


Good question, Alyse! I always have a hard time walking the fine line between being fashionable and dressing appropriately for the weather. You obviously want to stick to closed-toe shoes, preferably with a sturdy heel (sky-high stilettos+icy sidewalk=accident waiting to happen) and made of a water-resistant material. My go-to shoe in wet weather is a pair of bright yellow patent leather platforms (the heel is only an inch or so high). Stay away from soft leathers and suedes, which will stain, and be on the lookout for any shoe with a textured or rubbery base, which will help you keep your balance on wet pavement.

Here are a few of my favorite pairs for under $100:

Patent Anna Wedge, from Urban Outfitters, $38

BP 'Lavender' Leather Pump, from Nordstrom, $59.95
icon


Franco Satro 'Card' Patent Leather Flat, from Nordstrom, $78.95
icon

Franco Sarto 'Gamble' Pump, from Nordstrom, $89.95
icon


BP. 'Catty' Patent Leather Flat, from Nordstrom, $59.95
icon

Naturalizer 'Tres Chic' Pump, from Nordstrom, $74.95
icon

BCBGirls 'Titta' Patent Leather Pump, from Nordstrom, $97.95
icon

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm puzzled as to how *any* of the shoes you suggested are appropriate for winter weather, unless the wearer is chauffeured around everywhere and doesn't have to walk any further than directly from vehicle into a destination.

I would love a personal chauffeur; it would make my life soooooo much easier.

Zenobiah said...

I agree. Gorgeous shoes, but... I would not wear them in winter.

Diana said...

I disagree with the 2 previous comments. The shoes you picked are completely appropriate going-out shoes for winter! I wear pumps all the time in the winter. And, in fact, I'll trend it up by wearing colored tights with silver peep-toes.

Anonymous said...

I supose it all depends on your time out, if I knew I would be outside for a minimal amount of time, and mostly be on plowed sidewalks or city streets, I don't think any of those shoes are a problem.

Anonymous said...

Geez, you aren't going to be trekking through football fields of ankle high snow if you are truly "going out". I don't know how it is where y'all live, but going downtown, to a restaurant, to a club, to the theatre, the sidewalks are going to be clear and the roads will be plowed. Sheesh.

lisa (http://sololisaynadamas.spaces.live.com) said...

Yeah, these shoes are fine if you're going out for a night on the town and you'll be walking on plowed sidewalks or city streets; I know the harshest thing my going-out shoes get put through in winter are dancing and waiting in a club lineup lol. Regardless of the material, I would spray them with weatherproofing spray first, though. The salt that's sprinkled on roads can ruin a good pair of leather shoes like that.

Love the red flats with the big button btw. So cute!

Teek said...

In truly inclement weather, I wear knee high leather boots with a narrow heel and an almond toe if I'm wearing a skirt/dress. I've managed to go clubbing in a blizzard by this method.

And may I suggest keeping a pair of truly practical boots in the back of your car at all times, in case of accident or getting stranded. Fashion is no reason to put yourself in danger. Mine live in the back with a small first aid kit, jumper cables, ski gloves and hat, and a blanket.

Cate said...

good call, teek. i leave sneakers, sweatpants, and a sweatshirt in my car all winter long in a bag, just in case, and i always wear a coat!

Anonymous said...

It depends, too, on where you live. Meg is in the urban northeastern U.S., where municipal and state snowplowing is generally pretty responsive and thorough. That's not the case in other parts of the country. In the western U.S. and in smaller cities and towns, for instance, only main thoroughfares may be plowed. And in the western region where I live, they don't use road salt because of the damage it causes to the ground water supply. Here, you wear boots or you stay home.

MizzJ said...

If she lives back east, how can she wear such open shoes like that either? In below 0 degree weather, shoes like that seem cold, but then one can't wear boots ALL the time. Definitely never ever wear suede in very wet or slushy weather - you will absolutely ruin your boots!